SX Lites Report The Rockstar Energy Suzuki riders came to Municipal Stadium in Jacksonville riding a wave of emotion after Lites rider Blake Baggett earned his first race win in Dallas.
The momentum generated by that victory helped drive Blake and his Supercross-class teammate Tommy Hahn to put in some of the best rides of their season, but the world of Supercross racing is an unpredictable one, and even the best rides can’t guarantee victory.Blake, with his recent Supercross Lites success still fresh in his mind, was hungry for another shot at the podium. That hunger showed in his riding, as Blake pushed himself and his Suzuki RM-Z250 to a new season-best qualification of fifth during practice, and a third-place finish in his heat. The SX Lites main did not go as smoothly for the young rider, however. In one of the rhythm sections, Blake collided with another rider who had missed a shift, and both riders went down. Blake was forced to watch the rest of the pack pass by before he could safely pick up his bike and get back in the race. In an impressive display of both talent and will, Blake recovered eight positions before the end of the race, resulting in a 12th-place finish. Blake’s efforts allowed him to salvage enough valuable points to move him up into the top five in the season standings.Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Points Standings | Jacksonville
1. Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki, 134
2. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Suzuki, 126
3. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 102
4. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 95
5. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki, 80
6. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha, 77
7. Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki, 71
8. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda, 54
9. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Yamaha, 49
10. Troy Adams, Homosassa, Fla., Suzuki, 47 There is a break in the series this week, but the championship will head back to Texas next week for the 13th round at Reliant Stadium in Houston on Saturday, April 10.