2020 Triumph Bobber TFC:The standard Triumph Bobber and Bobber Black are fantastic looking machines. However, the ride isn’t quite up to the performance image evoked from the Bobber name. That looks to change with the 2020 Triumph Bobber TFC. With TFC short for Triumph Factory Custom, the Bobber gets more power, better suspension, and an upgraded finish. Some of the specs are missing, so it’s still a bit of a work in progress. You won’t see it until after the new year, but we can talk about it right now.
Higher Performance; Superior Appearance
- There are only going to be 750 examples of the 2020 Triumph Bobber TFC. Each motorcycle gets a numbered plaque and model-specific banding. Plus, you get a swag bag with plenty of TFC documentation, along with a signed and numbered letter from Triumph CEO Nick Bloor.
- Horsepower and torque are enhanced on the Bobber TFC. You get an additional 10 horsepower over the other Bobbers, and more torque across the rev range, with peak torque up three ft/lbs. Plus, the rev ceiling is up 500 rpm to 7500 rpm. Adding to the fun are Arrow titanium mufflers with carbon fiber endcaps.
- Along with more power, the vertical twin also spins up faster. In the last year or so, Triumph has focused on reducing engine inertial, and the Bobber TFC’s powerplant is no exception. The crank, clutch, and counterbalancer are all lighter.
- There are now three ride modes to tailor engine performance to rider preference. You get your choice of Sport, Road, and Rain. Each of those modifies the throttle map and traction control settings, along with ABS reaction. There is no IMU, but the 2020 Triumph Bobber TFC is ride-by-wire.
- Not only are the internal engine parts lighter, but the entire motorcycle will also be about 11 pounds lighter than its Bobber brothers. The alternator is lighter, as is the magnesium cam cover, engine covers, and header pipes. Add into that the titanium and carbon-fiber goodness from Arrow. Plus, some of the bodywork is carbon fiber.
- A high-performance motor doesn’t help much without chassis upgrades, and the 2020 Triumph Bobber TFC gets them. The big news is almost fully adjustable Öhlins suspension at both ends. Braking is improved via 310mm discs, Brembo M50 monoblock calipers, and a Brembo MCS radial master cylinder.
- The adjustable seat is real leather.
- The black powdercoating on the frame and swingarm is textured.
- The front fender is more bobbed than before, and mounted on a carbon fiber brace. The mount also functions as protection for the gold Öhlins fork tube. The rear fender retains its distinctive steel-tube support.
- The two-tone paint offers two shades of the dark stuff. It’s a combination of Carbon Black and Matte Carbon Black. The Union Jack design on the knee pad is in silver foil, with a gold pinstripe on the tank. There is other gold detailing on various parts, including the chain and key.
- The clocks have a TFC-specific face, and the instrument bezel gets a new Triumph badge. Although the 2020 Triumph Bobber TFC is retro, the instrument panel does offer a scrollable digital display to keep the rider fully informed.
- The TFC lighting comes courtesy of LEDs. Everywhere you look, from the headlight to the license plate illumination is LED.
- You will notice some gaps in the spec sheet. Triumph has not put the 2020 Bobber TFC through full homologation, and won’t until January, so the wheelbase, rake, trail, seat height, and weight numbers are not necessarily nailed down.
- Even the manufacturer doesn’t know the final price and availability date of the 2020 Triumph Bobber TFC. When we find out, we’ll let you know.
Type: Vertical twin w/ 270° crank
Bore x stroke: 97.6 x 80mm
Maximum power: 86 horsepower @ 6250 rpm
Maximum torque: 81 ft/lbs @ 4500 rpm
Valvetrain: SOHC, 4 vpc
Exhaust: Brushed stainless steel 2-into-2 w/ Arrow titanium mufflers and carbon fiber endcaps
Final drive: Chain
Frame: Tubular-steel cradle
Swingarm: Tubular steel
Front suspension: Fully adjustable Öhlins NIX30 43mm inverted fork
Rear suspension: Linkage-assisted, rebound-damping and spring-preload adjustable Öhlins RSU shock
Front wheel: 19 x 2.5
Rear wheel: 16 x 3.5
Tires: Avon Cobra
Front tire: 100/90 x 19
Rear tire: 150/70 x 16
Front brake: 310mm discs w/ Brembo M50 4-piston monoblock calipers and Brembo MCS radial master cylinder
Rear brake: 255mm disc w/ Nissin single-piston floating caliper
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES
Seat Height: TBD
Tank capacity: 2.4 gallons
Curb weight: N/A
Color: Carbon Black/Matte Carbon Black
2020 Triumph Bobber TFC Price: MSRP TBA