New Weego Jump Starter 44 First Look Preview
The battery revolution that is making electric motorcycles more practical is also making life easier for other users of stored electrical energy. The new Weego Jump Starter 44 portable battery looks to be an essential accessory for touring and ADV riders, and those with electric-start only bikes that go far afield. Following are nine fast facts about the new Weego Jump Starter 44.
- The Weego Jump Starter 44 will get a 6.4-liter gasoline motor started. That means getting your big-inch V-twin will be no problem. Smaller engines will be child’s play, regardless of compression ratio.
- You can jump start your bike via your trickle-charge SAE plug. This is a big deal if you own a bike that has hard-to-access battery terminals. A $30 accessory, the Powersports Tether can handle the juice the Weego Jump Starter 44 produces—just plug and start. Those who have the Weego Jump Starter Battery+ we tested will be happy to know that the tether is compatible.
- Foolproof is a good thing with electronics. The Weego Jump Starter 44 has Smarty Clamps to make sure you don’t accidentally crisscross the positive and negative leads and fry the electronics on your bike and the Weego. Other features include overheating and surge protections, as well as an anti-spark function. Plus, there’s an included lanyard for hanging the Weego Jump Starter 44 on your handlebars when jump starting your bike.
- A 500-lumen LED flashlight is built in for emergencies. On a full charge, it will run 28 hours in a SOS strobe mode, or 14 hours as a standard flashlight.
- Your laptop can be charged with the Weego Jump Starter 44. With a 19-volt output available, you can run your laptop at a stop, even if its battery has been depleted. You will need a power cord that fits your laptop power input at one end and the standard Weego 19-volt output plug at the other end.
- A USB outlet gets power to plenty of gadgets. Smartphones, tablets, and similar items can be run with the Weego Jump Starter 44, and a Detect-O-Matic system automatically provides the right amount of power to the device.
- The discharge rate is incredibly low. The Weego Jump Starter 44 loses only two percent of its power a month while standing by. We would charge it at least once a year, just to be safe, but you will have to forget about the Jump Starter 44 for a long time before you will find it dead.
- The entire Weego Jump Starter 44 comes in a fun lunch pail. If you don’t have room for the pail on your bike, and you won’t unless you have roomy bags, you can repurpose it storage at home.
- The Weego Jump Starter 44 is light and portable. It weighs 1.5 pounds and measures 6.5 x 3.375 x 1.5 inches. Look for an UltimateMotorcycling.com test of the Weego Jump Starter 44 when it hits the market. Right now, it’s pre-order only with a predicted shipping date of Sept. 1, 2016. The price for the Weego Jump Starter 44 is $150.
Weego Jump Starter 44 Gallery