2016 Kawasaki Vulcan S, Vulcan S ABS, and Vulcan S ABS SE
Using the same basic powerplant and frame as the sporty Ninja 650 and adventurous Versys 650, the Vulcan S is something new in the cruiser world. A big focus for the Vulcan S is its ability to customize the ergonomics for a wide range of riders. The footpegs can be moved an inch forward or rearward from the standard position, and there are optional seats and handlebars to suit almost any buyer.
Unlike its sporty brothers, the Vulcan S has a generous rake of 31 degrees, longer wheelbase and an approachable seat height below 28 inches.
A counterbalancer keeps the 180-degree parallel twin smoother than a V-twin, giving it a different feel from other bikes in its class. The ABS version adds $400 to the cost, and for another $200 you get ABS and a striking two-tone paint job in the SE version.
Read our Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS Review.
For more, visit our Motorcycle Buyer’s Guide.
2016 Kawasaki Vulcan S Specs:
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve, parallel twin
- Displacement: 649cc
- Bore x stroke: 83 x 60mm
- Maximum torque: 46 ft/lbs @ 4600 rpm
- Compression ratio: 10.8:1
- Fuel system: Dual 38mm throttle bodies w/ sub-throttles
- Ignition: Digital
- Transmission: 6-speed w/ positive neutral finder
- Final drive: Chain
- Front: 41mm forks; 5.1 inches of travel
- Rear: Shock w/ spring preload adjustment /3.1 inches of travel
- Front: 120/70 x 17
- Rear: 160/60 x 17
- Front: 300mm petal-style disc w/ 4-piston calipers
- Rear: 250mm petal-style rotor w/ 2-piston caliper
- Frame: Perimeter-design high-tensile steel
Rake: 31 degrees
- Wheelbase: 62 inches
- Overall length: 90.9 inches
- Overall width: 34.6 inches
- Overall height: 43.3 inches
- Ground clearance: 5.1 inches
- Seat height: 27.8 inches
- Curb weight: 492 pounds (498, ABS versions)
- Fuel capacity: 3.7 gallons
- Warranty: 12-month limited
2016 Kawasaki Vulcan S Colors:
- Candy Matte Orange
- Urban City White
- Metallic Imperial Blue/Metallic Spark Black (ABS SE)
2016 Kawasaki Vulcan S Price:
- MSRP $6999
- $7399 (ABS)
- $7599 (ABS SE)