2016 Yamaha FZ-09 | Motorcycle Buyer’s Guide
Powered by an exhilarating 847cc motor that taps the Crossplane Crankshaft Concept technology from MotoGP, the 2016 FZ-09 from Yamaha is as much fun to ride in the canyons as it is through the urban jungle. The power delivery from the DOHC triple is highly linear, while the motor itself is physically narrow with fracture-split connecting rods in the cases.
The inline-3 motor is ride-by-wire with three power modes, allowing the rider to personalize power delivery. The A mode is most aggressive, with the B mode offering the softest throttle response. Between them is the STD mode, which stands for standard. Staggered intake funnels give the FZ-09 motor the ability to produce good low-rpm torque, as well as the ability to rev quickly.
Weighing in at 414 pounds wet, the FZ-09 is agile in all riding situations. The suspension at both ends—a 41mm fork and a linkage-assisted shock—have adjustability for rebound-damping and spring preload. The factory settings will be satisfactory for a wide number of street riders, with outliers and those carrying passengers using the adjusters.
Read our Yamaha FZ-09 Review.
Read our Motorcycle Buyer’s Guide.
2016 Yamaha FZ-09 Specs
- Engine: 847cc liquid-cooled inline 3-cylinder, DOHC; 12 valves
- Bore x stroke: 78.0 x 59.1mm
- Compression ratio: 11.5:1
- Fuel delivery: Fuel Injection with YCC-T
- Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Final drive: O-ring chain
- Front suspension: Adjustable spring-preload and rebound damping 41mm fork; 5.4 inches travel
- Rear suspension: Linkage-assisted adjustable spring-preload and rebound damping shock; 5.1 inches of travel
- Front tire: 120/70ZR17
- Rear tire: 180/55ZR17
- Front brakes: 298mm floating discs w/ four-piston calipers
- Rear brake: 245mm disc
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES
- Wheelbase: 56.7 inches
- Rake: 25 degrees
- Trail: 3.9 inches
- Seat Height 32.1 inches
- Fuel capacity 4.8 gallons
- Estimated fuel consumption: 44 mpg
- Wet weight: 414 pounds
- Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
- Armor Gray
- Impact Blue
2016 Yamaha FZ-09 Price: $8190 MSRP
2016 Yamaha FZ-09 Photo Gallery