Unadilla Motocross Results 2015
After a week-long break, the final stretch of the 2015 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship began this weekend with the Red Bull Unadilla National.
The race in New Berlin, N.Y., was the first of the final three back-to-back rounds. One man was untouchable throughout both motos – Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey. The Minnesota native swept the round, bringing him closer to securing his second Motocross title.
When the overall Unadilla Motocross Results 2015 were in, Dungey was joined on the podium by Autotrader.com/Toyota/Yamaha’s Justin Barcia (2-4) and Team Honda HRC’s Trey Canard (3-6). This was Canard’s first overall podium of the 2015 Motocross season in only his second race since returning from injury.
“It feels great to get both moto wins today,” Dungey says. “We are taking each race one at a time as we get near the end of the series. We have a comfortable lead and hope to continue to collect more moto wins at the final two races.”
When the opening moto began, the Fastest Qualifier, Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Christophe Pourcel, collided with RCH Soaring Eagle/Jimmy Johns/Suzuki’s Ken Roczen at turn one. Both returned to action.
Taking the Motosport Holeshot award was BTOSPorts.com KTM’s Justin Brayton, who was followed by Dungey. The KTM SX-F 450 wasted no time, though, and passed Brayton on the opening lap.
Barcia, whose seven-moto holeshot streak came to an end, quickly got into second, and attempted to chase her down. As these two pulled away, the battle for the final podium was intense between Canard and GEICO Honda’s Justin Bogle. Bogle kept third through lap 11, when Canard passed him. Soon after, Bogle crashed, and fell behind the top 10.
Dungey led every lap, winning Unadilla Motocross by 13.860 seconds ahead of Barcia, with Canard in third.
Bogle earned the Motosport.com Holeshot award in Moto2, followed by Dungey. The KTM pilot once again didn’t waste time, and took the lead on the opening lap. Barcia soon followed. Roczen redeemed himself from his opening-moto crash, and was quickly into third.
Dungey continually opened a gap as Roczen battled his way into second. He would catch up to Dungey, but not be able to pass. Dungey eventually finished 1.604 seconds ahead of Roczen, and Barcia earned third.
“I got a great start in both motos and could put myself into the lead early. That allowed me to really ride my own race and work on building a gap,” explained Dungey. “Ken [Roczen] was really strong in that last moto and it kind of caught me off guard, so I really had to put my head down and focus on hitting all my marks. We kept him behind us and finished the day with a 1-1 effort, which feels great.
With two rounds remaining, Dungey has a 79-point lead over Barcia, who took over sole possession of second. If Duney completes the next round with at least a 50-point advantage, Dungey will clinch his third Edison Dye Cup in six seasons. Roczen sits third, 92 points behind Dungey and 13 points back of Barcia for second.
The Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship continues next weekend with its second-to-last round of the 2015 season. Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah, will be the host site of the Zions Bank Utah National next Saturday, August 15.
Unadilla Motocross Results 2015 (moto finishes):
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM (1-1)
- Justin Barcia, Monroe, N.Y., Yamaha (2-4)
- Trey Canard, Edmond, Oka., Honda (3-6)
- Shaun Simpson, United Kingdom, KTM (4-8)
- Ken Roczen, Germany, Suzuki (16-2)
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki (6-9)
- Weston Peick, Wildomar, Calif., Yamaha (12-5)
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki (13-7)
- Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Kawasaki (9-11)
- Dean Wilson, United Kingdom, KTM (11-10)
2015 Motocross 450 Class Championship Standings
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 450
- Justin Barcia, Monroe, N.Y., Yamaha, 371
- Ken Roczen, Germany, Suzuki, 358
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki, 297
- Christophe Pourcel, France, Husqvarna, 267
- Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Husqvarna, 263
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki, 253
- Weston Peick, Wildomar, Calif., Yamaha, 223
- Phil Nicoletti, Cohocton, N.Y., Yamaha, 209
- Fredrik Noren, Sweden, Honda, 206
Unadilla Motocross Results 2015 Photo Gallery