2016 BMW R1200RS
Back in 1976, BMW released the R 100 RS, a model that helped establish the sport-touring segment as we know it today.
That R 100 RS was the first mass-produced motorcycle to feature a frame-mounted fairing that was wind-tunnel tested – a commonplace thing in modernity.
For 2016, BMW returns the RS name to its lineup with the all-new R 1200 RS. The model, which was unveiled ahead of INTERMOT along with the 2015 S 1000 RR and R 1200 R, arrives with the same 125-horsepower flat-twin boxer engine that powers the R 1200 GS, R 1200 RT and the new R 1200 R. But the R 1200 RS’ boxer was revised to offer additional torque at lower rpms.
The motorcycle utilizes an upside-down telescopic fork up front, and Paralever suspensions setup out back, and is loaded with the latest in BMW electronics, including ABS, Automatic Stability Control (ASC) and two riding modes as standard. BMW also offers Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) and Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Control) as options.
Think of the R 1200 RS as the sportier bike in BMW’s sport-touring lineup, which includes the K1600GT, K1600GTL and the R 1200 RT. A price has yet to be released, but the R 1200 RS should be offered at an MSRP lower than the other BMW sport tourers.
Following are the features and highlights of the 2015 BMW R 1200 RS, the latest sport touring bike to arrive on the market:
BMW R 1200 RS Engine:
The flat-twin boxer engine on the new R 1200 RS is the same DOHC drive unit that already powers the R 1200 GS, R 1200 GS Adventure as well as the R 1200 RT and the new R 1200 R. It produces 92 kW (125 hp) at 7,750 rpm and develops its peak torque of 125 Nm (92 ft/lbs) at 6,500 rpm.
Compared to the engines on the GS, GS Adventure and RT, torque has actually been increased slightly at low revs. The exhaust gases are routed through a 2-in-1 exhaust system with a rear silencer that is steeply angled for dynamic effect. A modified airbox, newly shaped air intake snorkels and a centrally positioned radiator all lend themselves to a slender, sporty and dynamic-looking front silhouette.
BMW R 1200 RS Electronics:
For optimum adaptation to the rider’s individual needs, the new R 1200 RS already comes equipped as standard with the two riding modes “Rain” and “Road.”
Besides ABS, the standard specification also includes Automatic Stability Control (ASC) for increased handling safety when accelerating. And, with the optional Riding mode Pro feature, the new R 1200 RS also adds Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) with banking detection as well as two extra riding modes – “Dynamic” and “User” – to its technical repertoire.
BMW R 1200 RS Chassis/Suspension:
A new tubular steel bridge frame incorporating the flat-twin engine as a self-supporting element was purpose-developed for the new R 1200 RS. With an upside-down telescopic fork at the front and EVO Paralever at the rear, the wheel suspension adopts the classic chassis technology of dynamic sports tourers, but updated in typical BMW Motorrad fashion. Excellent steering precision, directional accuracy, neutral handling and braking rigidity were all a top priority when configuring the chassis. All while never losing sight of the overriding objective for the new R 1200 RS of creating an exceptionally dynamic RS model for the keen rider, whose design language has been derived from the S 1000 RR superbike.
BMW R 1200 RS Optional Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment):
Opting for the latest generation of the electronically controlled suspension Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) takes the dynamic riding experience to even greater heights. With its two damping settings, “Road” and “Dynamic”, Dynamic ESA enables the rider to enjoy unprecedented levels of handling safety, performance and comfort, as the damping is automatically adapted to the prevailing riding conditions to suit the riding situation and the manoeuvres being carried out.
BMW R 1200 RS Instrumentation:
Even the instrumentation of the new R 1200 RS takes a quantum leap into a new sports touring era. The speed is displayed in traditional fashion by an analogue speedometer, but there is also a TFT display for showing a wide array of information.
BMW R 1200 RS Colors:
The BMW Motorrad RS models have always enjoyed a reputation for being the perfect all-rounders. The new BMW R 1200 RS fuses these credentials with both sharp performance and a sporty, dynamic design. The aerodynamically styled semi-fairing with twin headlights forms the “face” of the new BMW R 1200 RS and makes the fusion of tourer and sports machine plain to see.
The dynamic proportions, with the low-set front and the delicately styled tail jutting up at the rear, give the bike a slight wedge shape and leave no doubt as to its sporting prowess, along with its many other talents. Two color and finish variants each underline the powerful character of the new R 1200 RS, but in their own individual way.
This results in a choice of two different styling variants: the classically sporty basic colors Lupin blue metallic / Light grey metallic and the sporty and exclusive “Style 2” variant in Granite grey metallic matt.
2016 BMW R 1200 RS Highlights:
- Classic flat-twin boxer engine with 92 kW (125 hp) at 7,750 rpm and 125 Nm (92 ft/lbs) at 6,500 rpm.
- Sporty and dynamic sports tourer design.
- Aerodynamically styled semi-fairing with adjustable windshield.
- Torsionally rigid tubular steel bridge frame with engine as self-supporting element.
- Classic wheel suspension concept using upside-down telescopic fork at the front and EVO Paralever at the rear.
- New intake air duct and central radiator for ultra-compact front silhouette.
- Upright, sporty yet relaxed seating position for a dynamic riding sensation combined with excellent seating comfort for longer tours.
- Exhaust system in pentagonal design.
- Automatic Stability Control (ASC).
- “Rain” and “Road” riding modes.
- Riding mode Pro offering two additional riding modes, “Dynamic” and “User”, for optimum adaptation to prevailing riding conditions as an ex-works option.
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) as part of the Riding mode Pro option.
- Latest-generation Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) as an option for optimum riding dynamics in any situation.
- Powerful braking system with radial four-piston calipers and ABS.
- Lightweight 10-spoke cast wheels.
- Gear Shift Assistant Pro for fast, clutchless shifting as an ex-works option.
- Sophisticated instrument cluster offering a wide array of functions and wealth of information.
- Keyless Ride for supreme ease of use as an ex-works option.
- Innovative color scheme with two individual characters, classically sporty in the basic colors and sporty and exclusive in the “Style 2” variant.
- Extensive range of optional extras and special accessories available ex-works.