2015 Indian Scout Released | 100 HP 69-CI Engine, $10,999 MSRP
2015 Indian Scout Launches at Sturgis
Last week, we got word that Indian Motorcycle was about to launch another new model besides the recently unveiled Roadmaster.
And the model arrived Saturday at the opening day of the 74th annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. The bike? The 2015 Indian Scout. It looks like Harley’s Iconic Sportster now has a serious American competitor.
Indian Motorcycle revived the legendary Scout name for this mid-weight cruiser featuring the latest technology, including the all-new liquid-cooled 69-CI V-Twin that produces 100 horsepower and 72 ft/lbs of torque. The 2015 Indian Scout features the “rigid triangle” design that was so popular on the original Scout. This rigid-cast aluminum frame was designed to cradle the engine in a way to keep the center of gravity low, helping to improve maneuverability.
Featuring a 25.3-inch seat height, a light-cruiser weight of 558 lbs., and premium coil-over monotube rear shocks, the Indian Scout is available for a starting MSRP of $10,999.
The new Scout pays tribute to the original, which was produced from 1919 through 1949; the 101 Scout (1928-1931) was touted as one of the best Indian motorcycles ever made. The original Scout was a popular competitor at the The Wall of Death board-track races, and carried the “Indian Wrecking Crew” to many Flat Track victories. The Scout also was used by Allied Forces in World War II, and who can forget the “World’s Fastest Indian” – the 1920 Scout that broke multiple land-speed records by Burt Munro in 1967?
The 2015 Indian Scout features the “rigid triangle” design that was so popular on the original Scout. This rigid-cast aluminum frame was designed to cradle the engine in a way to keep the center of gravity low, helping to improve maneuverability.
“Over the course of 30 years of countless innovations, racing wins, world records and industry firsts, the Scout has earned its reputation as a versatile, multifaceted bike that appeals to just about every rider and every riding style, with superior handling, balance, performance and craftsmanship,” said Steve Menneto, VP of Motorcycles for Polaris Industries.
“Our designers and engineers have taken that heritage and those characteristics and fused it into the 2015 Indian Scout, and we think just about everyone who rides this incredible bike is going to feel like it was built just for them.”
Following are the the details and specs of the 2015 Indian Scout, which will arrive in US dealerships in late 2014:
2015 Indian Scout Features:
- The look of a classic “rigid triangle” design that is synonymous with original Scouts, coupled with a set of premium coil over monotube rear shocks that deliver exceptional ride, handling and comfort
- A 25.3 inch seat height, 61.5 inch wheelbase and 5.3 inch ground clearance, delivering a confidence-inspiring 31 degrees of lean angle and low center of gravity, along with exceptional high and low speed maneuverability
- A premium, genuine tan leather solo bucket seat, making the 2015 Indian Scout pure Indian and the only brand to offer this seating as standard
- The 2015 Indian Scout is powered by an all-new, in-house designed and proprietary 69 cubic inch V-twin engine that combines all the design, power and reliability elements that made the original Scouts unbeatable and mates it with state-of-the-art components and modern technologies. Smooth, flawless power throughout the power band featuring:
- Liquid-cooled design for 100 HP of pure power, along with enhanced durability and reliability
- Out of respect for the legendary Scouts of the 1920s, 30s and 40s, the 2015 Scout carries forward classic engine design cues with purposeful styling that honors both form and function
- Closed loop fuel injection and drive-by-wire throttle actuation mated to a 6-speed overdrive transmission for peak torque of 72 ft./lbs. of torque at 5900 RPM
2015 Indian Scout Specs:
- Engine Type: Liquid Cooled V-Twin
- Displacement: 69 cu in
- Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
- Electronic Fuel Injection System: Closed loop fuel injection / 60 mm bore
- Drive/Driven Clutch: Wet, Multi-Plate
- Transmission/Primary Drive: Gear Drive Wet Clutch
- Gear Ratio (Overall): 1st – 10.782 : 1; 2nd – 7.328 : 1; 3rd – 5.841 : 1; 4th – 4.957 : 1 5th – 4.380 : 1; 6th – 4.034 : 1; Final Drive – 2.357 : 1
- Horsepower (HP): 100 (74.7 kW)
- Peak Torque (J1349 ft-lbs): 72.2 ft-lbs. (97.7 Nm)
- Peak Torque RPM: 5900 rpm
- Suspension: Front – Type/Travel: Telescopic Fork/4.7″ (120 mm)
- Suspension: Rear – Type/Travel: Dual Shocks/3.0″ (76 mm)
- Brakes/Front: Single / 298 mm Rotor / 2 Piston Caliper
- Brakes/Rear: Single /298 mm Rotor / 1 Piston Caliper
- Tires/Front: 130/90-16 72H
- Tires/Rear: 150/80-16 71H
- Wheels: Cast 16″ x 3.5″ Front and 16″ x 5″ Rear
- Exhaust System: Split dual exhaust with crossover
- Fuel Capacity (gallons/liters): 3.3 gallons
- Ground Clearance: 5.3 in / 135 mm
- Overall Height (in./cm.): 47.5 in / 1207 mm
- Overall Width (in./cm.): 34.6 in / 880 mm
- Rake/Trail: 29°
- Seat Height: 25.3 in / 635 mm
- Wheelbase: 61.5 in / 1562 mm
- Overall Length (in./cm.): 91 in / 2311 mm
- Lean Angle: 31 degrees
- GVWR: 988 lbs / 449 kg
- Trail: 4.7 in / 119.9 mm
- Weight (Empty tank / full of fuel): 538 lbs / 558 lbs (244 kg / 253 kg)
- Electric: Gauges, Digital tachometer, odometer, trip meter, engine temp, and low fuel lamp
- Lights: Headlight, tail/brake light, turn signals, license plate light, and speedometer and indicator lights
- Colors: Thunder Black, Indian Motorcycle Red, Silver Smoke (matte finish) and Thunder Black Smoke (matte finish)