2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Softail Deluxe | First Look Review
For 2014, Harley-Davidson has released a new Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO) model – the CVO Softail Deluxe.
The motorcycle combines the nostalgic, clean look of the Softail with the high-performance Screamin' Eagle Twin Cam 110 and detachable touring accessories. And like all CVO models, the Softail Deluxe arrives with Art Deco-style paint that provides a custom look, and loads of chrome.
Kirk Rasmussen (Harley-Davidson Styling Manager) says: "The CVO Softail Deluxe is a fast classic. Influenced by the Art Deco tradition of streamlining, we use many long, low lines on this bike.
"The luggage rack, the low-profile chrome console, the eyebrows on the headlight and spots, the medallions on the tank and saddle bags and even the Slipstream Collection accessories, work together to lengthen this bike's profile. The Airflow paint scheme is a classic design from the pre-war era."
The 2014 CVO Softail Deluxe has a low seat-height of 24 inches, a low center of gravity and a compact rider triangle, which Harley says is an ideal option for riders of shorter stature. The seat is hand-stitched out of leather with a narrower front end to help shorter riders reach the ground.
But there's more; Harley also added a low-rise handlebar and pull-back risers, along with smaller-diameter Slipstream Collection grips for smaller hands. The CVO Softail Deluxe seems to be marketed towards not only the shorter rider, but also women riders.
The bike is also set up with the latest in touring accessories that can be easily removed to transform the Softail to boulevard cruiser. These features include a quick-detach windscreen with integrated Road Tech zumo 660 GPS Navigator, quick-releases leather-covered saddlebags, and detachable backrest and luggage rack. And for that solo look, the passenger pillion can be removed.
Powering the CVO Softail Deluxe is the largest-displacement powertrain offered by Harley-Davidson, a Screamin' Eagle Twin Cam 110B engine, a 110-cid V-Twin producting 108 ft. lbs. of torque
The Softail chassis mimics the clean lines of a vintage hardtail frame, but utilizes rear suspension control provided by coil-over shock absorbers mounted horizontally and out of sight within the frame rails. The new Daymaker LED headlamp and fog lamps blast through the darkness.
Also, standard equipment on the 2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Softail Deluze includes the new Daymaker LED headlamps, electronic cruise control, Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), keyless ignition, and the Harley-Davidson Smart Security System.
Following are the features, color options and MSRP.
2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Softail Deluxe Features:
- The Screamin' Eagle Twin Cam 110B engine with 110-cid (1803cc), counter-balanced and rigid-mounted within the frame, is rated at 108 ft. lbs. of torque at 3000 rpm. The engine is equipped with a high-performance Ventilator air cleaner, Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), Automatic Compression Release, and Electronic Throttle Control (ETC), and is mated to a 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission. A high-performance clutch features hydraulic actuation.
- The CVO Softail Deluxe will be offered in three dramatic custom-color schemes, each with a Granite powdercoat-and-chrome powertrain.
- Crimson Red Sunglo and Ruby Flake with Airflow graphics
- Candy Cobalt and White Gold Pearl with Airflow graphics
- Maple Metallic and Atomic Orange with Airflow graphics
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) helps the rider maintain control during braking events, especially those that happen in less-than-optimal conditions. Front and rear brake lines are clear-coated, braided stainless-steel.
- A Daymaker LED headlight and Daymaker LED fog lamps deliver bright, white light in a pattern that is highly focused. The Daymaker headlamp has two D-shaped lenses: one that focuses light into a pool directly in front of the bike for outstanding low-beam illumination, and another separate high-beam projector that delivers a super-bright, focused beam to penetrate deep into the night.
- The embossed leather seat and detachable passenger pillion look hand-tooled, and are finished with contrasting thread. Laden seat height is 24 inches.
- Detachable sissy bar and luggage rack are easily removed.
- Detachable black leather-covered saddlebags are lockable.
- Detachable full-size windshield features an integrated Road Tech zumo 660 GPS Navigator with a 4.3-inch color screen, voice prompts and custom Harley-Davidson mapping software.
- Mustache engine guard is equipped with Slipstream Collection rubber foot pads.
- A low-profile chrome console with a backlit CVO medallion tops a five-gallon fuel tank.
- A riser-mounted combination digital speedometer/analog tachometer incorporates a fuel-level indicator, gear indicator, and LED indicator lights.
- Chrome 9-Spoke Cast Aluminum wheels are wrapped in nostalgic wide whitewall tires.
- Chrome low-rise 1.25-inch-diameter handlebar is internally wired and supported by pull-back chrome risers and top clamp.
- Slipstream Collection accessories include grips, shifter pegs, brake pedal pad, footboards, and passenger pegs.
- Chrome, shorty dual exhaust system is finished with slashdown chrome mufflers and chrome heat shields.
- Integrated stop/tail/turn lights clean up the rear fender styling.
- The Harley-Davidson Smart Security System features hands-free operation with a proximity-based security fob and keyless ignition.
- Includes the Harley-Davidson Museum Gold Package, an indoor/outdoor motorcycle storage cover and Customer Care Package: tool kit, microfiber detailing cloth, H-D jiffy stand coaster.
2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Softail Deluxe Color Options/MSRP:
- Crimson REd Sunglo and Ruby Flake with Airflow graphics / $28,999
- Candy Cobalt and White Gold Pearl with Airflow graphics / $28,999
- Maple Metallic and Atomic Orange with Airflow graphics / $28,999