As part of its Golden Anniversary celebration of offering motorcycles in America, Suzuki unveiled an exclusive GSX-R 1000 at the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix.
And when we say exclusive, we mean exclusive – only 100 of the 2014 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 Special Edition sportbikes will be made, with 50 of those offered in the states.
This new SE even tops the exclusivity of the 2013 Millionth Edition Suzuki GSX-R1000, a model unveiled late last year to commemorate the one-millionth GSX-R to roll off the assembly line. Only 1985 were produced, with 1000 reaching US shores, signifying the first model-year GSX-R 750.
The Special Edition takes the base model GSX-R 1000, and enhances the aesthetics with some tasteful touches, including a highly polished and chromed frame, blue anodized forks, special graphics, a raised "S" on the fuel tank, and various blue-covered parts such as the clutch cover.
Suzuki has not yet released the MSRP, or when the bike will be available.
Following are the highlights of the 2014 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 Special Edition. We also uploaded 25 photos above, which make for great wallpaper.
2014 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 Special Edition Highlights:
- Mat silver-colored bodywork with special graphics.
- Polished and chrome plated frame.
- Wheel rims are machined and polished, wheel spokes are finished with blue painted and clear coat.
- Blue-anodized front fork adjuster, front damper bolt fork parts comp, chain adjuster, steering stem nut, rear swingarm pivot boss, brake lever, clutch lever.
- Black-anodized front caliper.
- Blue-colored and clear coated clutch cover, generator cover, engine sprocket cover, rear shock spring.
- Polished and clear coated muffler, muffler cover and Black-anodized muffler end cap. Exhaust pipes are polished.
- Polished and clear coated footrest guard.
- Mat black swingarm.
- Special speedometer panel design.
- Special serial number plate.
- Special Key fob.
- Blue-colored fuel tank cap, headlight inner, drive chain, seat.
- Black-colored radiator, oil cooler.
- New “S” emblem with ridge line on the fuel tank. 16. New “S” emblem with ridge line on the front fork upper bracket.
2014 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 Special Edition Features:
- 999cm3 4-cylinder engine, with Bore x stroke of 74.5mm x 57.3mm brings enhanced throttle response across the entire rpm range and high potential for racetrack performance.
- The compact engine enables short wheelbase and long swingarm at the same time to improve racetrack performance.
- Lightweight, durable forged pistons are designed with the Finite Element Method (FEM) and fatigue analysis technology used for MotoGP racing engines.
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM)-plated cylinders integrated into the upper crankcase reduce friction and improve heat transfer, durability and ring seal.
- Pentagonal shaped ventilation holes in the sides of each cylinder bore reduce pumping losses due to internal crankcase air-pressure resistance to downward piston movement.
- Optimized camshaft profiles for great racing potential was developed using proven MotoGP racing engine technology.
- Optimally shaped combustion chambers and a compression ratio of 12.9:1 promote low-range and mid-range performance and help realize a broad torque curve.
- Iridium type spark plugs produce a strong spark for efficient combustion. 12-hole fuel injectors produce a fine fuel mist for more complete combustion, reducing fuel consumption and exhaust emissions.
- An Engine Control Module (ECM) provides state-of-the-art engine management and has optimized settings to suit the single muffler, resulting in better fuel economy and linear throttle response.
- Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (S-DMS) offers push-button selection of three performance settings to suit riding conditions and personal taste. The switch is located on the left handlebar control module.
- The 4-2-1 exhaust system carries a Suzuki Exhaust Tuning (SET) valve maximizing torque and improving throttle response, especially in the low-to- mid rpm range.
- Race-proven back-torque-limiting clutch contributes to smoother downshifting and corner entry.
- Large, efficient radiator with a trapezoidal shape developed on factory team racebikes and a trapezoidal engine oil cooler both help reduce drag.
- A lightweight and compact twin-spar frame is made of five cast sections. It is mated with an arched swingarm made of three castings and one-piece die- cast rear subframe.
- Big Piston front Forks (BPF) with an endurance-race-proven design deliver superb feedback and responsive, stable operation, and are lightweight.
- Rear shock absorber features adjustable rebound damping, spring preload, and both high-speed and low-speed compression damping.
- The front disc brakes are equipped with the top-of-the–line radial-mount Brembo monobloc calipers.
- The rear brake system with single-piston caliper contributes to a reduction of unsprung weight.
- The lightweight and high-grip front and rear tires reduce unsprung weight for sharp handling.
- Electronically controlled steering damper provides lighter steering at slower speeds and more damping force at racetrack and highway speeds.
- 3-way adjustable footpegs, adjustable shift lever and short fuel tank help compose a comfortable riding position.
- LCD readouts include odometer, dual trip meter, reserve trip meter, clock, coolant temperature/oil pressure warning indicator, gear position indicator, lap timer/stopwatch, S-DMS setting indicator and bar-graph indicating the instrument lighting level, or brightness.
- Distinctive multi-reflector headlight with vertically stacked high and low-beam halogen bulbs is centered between position light on each side.
- Optional single seat cowl can be replaced with the tandem seat for an even more aggressive image and solo rides or track days.