2013 Hangtown AMA Motocross | Results
2013 Red Bull Hangtown Motorcross Classic
Spoiler Alert: 2013 results from the 2013 Red Bull Hangtown Motocross Championship in California listed below
The 2013 Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship throttled into action Saturday with the first of 12 rounds in Sacramento, Calif.
And the man who missed the entire 2012 MX Championship, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto, redeemed himself quickly at the 45th running of the Red Bull Hangtown Motocross Classic.
Villopoto, who dominated the 2013 AMA Supercross Championship, taking his third consecutive title, swept Hangtown. It was also a podium sweep for both Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey and Yoshimura Suzuki’s James Stewart. Dungey took second in both races, Stewart, who missed the final three rounds of the AMA SX series due to injury, third.
Stewart also took grabbed some points towards the new $25,000 Motorcycle-Superstore.com holeshot award, the Floridian taking the holeshot in both motos.
In Moto1, Stewart’s time at the front was short lived. But by the end of lap one, Villopoto took over the lead, followed closely by Stewart and Dungey. These three riders battled intensely, but Villopoto would hold onto the lead for the win.
Taking fourth was Team Honda Muscle Milk’s Trey Canard, who returned to Hangtown for first time since his 250 Class championship-winning season in 2010.
Behind Canard, the other Muscle Milk rider, Justin Barcia, was engaged in an intense battle with BTO Sports/KTM’s Andrew Short, Lucas Oil Troy Lee Honda’s Malcolm Stewart, Smartop/MotoConcepts Mike Alessi and 450 Class rookie Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Dean Wilson. But Barcia would beat all for fifth.
In Moto2, Stewart once again took the holeshot, and again found himself in a battle with Dungey and Villopoto. By the midway point, Villopoto took the lead, leaving Stewart and Dungey alone to battle it up. Dungey was able to oust Stewart for second, and once again taking fourth and fifth were Canard and Barcia, respectively.
Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX-F450 Motocross) says: “Hangtown has always been a rough place for me so for the bike to feel like it did today was amazing. I’m obviously happy with that and happy with how I rode. I feel like we’re in a really good place and it’s only going to get better from here.”
2013 Hangtown AMA Motocross Recap
Red Bull KTM’s Ken Roczen claimed his first career 250 Class overall victory at Hangtown.
The 250 Class was set to be a showcase with a full lineup of returning contenders, including defending 250 Class Champion Blake Baggett. Fresh off a wrist injury, the Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki rider had no reservations about getting to the front early on as he grabbed the Motorcycle-Superstore holeshot in Moto 1.
However, the Red Bull KTM duo of Marvin Musquin and Ken Roczen quickly gained control of the lead. Musquin led three laps before his teammate commanded the lead for the remainder of Moto 1, MX Sports says.
GEICO Honda’s Eli Tomac began the first moto just outside of the top five but made his way into podium contention early on. Tomac first set his sights on Musquin and then made his way around Baggett to eventually secure second place in Moto 1. Baggett finished third, while Musquin took fourth and MyPlash Star RacingYamaha/Metal Mulisha’s Cooper Webb rounded out the top five in his Pro class debut, MX Sports says.
In Moto 2, GEICO Honda’s Zach Bell grabbed the Motorcycle-Superstore holeshot but it was once again Roczen who jumped out front on the opening lap. Roczen set the pace early on and Baggett remained close in tow throughout the first half of the race. Roczen eventually put a gap on the defending champion in the final laps of Moto 2, going on to secure his first career victory in the 250 Class, MX Sports says.
Ken Roczen (Red Bull KTM SX-F 250 Motocross) says: “Coming here, I didn’t really know what to expect because I sort of took some time to have fun during the week off (between supercross and motocross). It’s important to me to keep things fun but next week it’s time to put in some work and make my performance even better.”
Baggett’s score of (3-2) was enough to give him second overall for the day, while Tomac went (2-3) for third overall. Musquin captured a pair of fourth places to claim fourth overall, while GEICO Honda’s Zach Osborne rounded out the top five overall with a (9-5) score, MX Sports says.
New Zealand’s Courtney Duncan took the opening round of the Women’s Motocross (WMX) Triple Crown by storm, sweeping both motos of the day in her WMX debut. Duncan bested Team Honda Muscle Milk’s Sayaka Kaneshiro, who finished second overall with a (2-3) score and Texas native Taylor Higgins rounded out the overall podium. Six-time WMX champion Jessica Patterson finished second in Moto 2 but bad luck in the first moto gave her 10th overall for the day, MX Sports says.
The WMX Triple Crown returns to the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship June 8 for the GEICO Hangtown National in Mt. Morris, Pa. Round 2 of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship heads to Lakewood, Colo. for the Rockwell Watches Thunder Valley National next weekend, May 25.
2013 Hangtown AMA Motocross 450 Class Results (Moto Finish):
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki (1-1)
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM (2-2)
3. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki (3-3)
4. Trey Canard, Oklahoma City, Okla., Honda (4-4)
5. Justin Barcia, Monroe, N.Y., Honda (5-5)
6. Ryan Sipes, Elizabethtown, Ky., Suzuki (8-7)
7. Andrew Short, Colorado Springs, Colo., KTM (6-10)
8. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki (12-6)
9. Tyla Rattray, Durban, South Africa, Kawasaki (9-9)
10. Weston Peick, Wildomar, Calif., Suzuki (13-8)
2013 AMA 450 Class Championship Standings (after one of 12 rounds):
1. Ryan Villopoto, Seattle, Wash., Kawasaki, 50
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM,44
3. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki,40
4. Trey Canard, Oklahoma City, Okla., Honda,36
5. Justin Barcia, Pinetta, Fla., Honda, 32
6. Ryan Sipes, Elizabethtown, Ky., Suzuki, 27
7. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM, 26
8. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki, 24
9. Tyla Rattray, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki, 24
10. Weston Peick, Wildomar, Calif., Suzuki, 21
2013 Hangtown AMA Motocross 250 Class Results (Moto Finish):
1. Ken Roczen, Apolda, Germany, KTM (1-1)
2. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki (3-2)
3. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda (2-3)
4. Marvin Musquin, La Reole, France, KTM (4-4)
5. Zach Osborne, Abingdon, Va., Honda (9-5)
6. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha (8-7)
7. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki (12-6)
8. Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha (7-13)
9. Joseph Savatgy, Cairo, Ga. KTM (10-11)
10. Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki (13-9)
2013 Hangtown 250 Class Championship Standings:
1. Ken Roczen, Apolda, Germany, KTM, 50
2. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda, 42
3. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki, 42
4. Marvin Musquin, Corona, Calif., KTM, 36
5. Zach Osborne, Abingdon, Va., Honda, 28
6. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha, 27
7. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki, 24
8. Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha, 22
9. Joseph Savatgy, Cairo, Ga. KTM, 21
10. Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki, 20
2013 Hangtown AMA WMX Class Results (Moto Finish):
1. Courtney Duncan, New Zealand, Yamaha (1-1)
2. Sayaka Kaneshiro, Japan, Honda (2-3)
3. Taylor Higgins, Mesquite, Texas, Honda (4-4)
4. Mackenzie Tricker, Australia, Yamaha (3-6)
5. Jacqueline Strong, Sedona, Ariz., KTM (6-5)
6. Alexah Pearson, Sacramento, Calif., KTM (5-8)
7. Mariana Balbi, Brazil, Kawasaki (7-7)
8. Sara Pettersson, Sweden, KTM (8-9)
9. Hailey Larson, Mill Valley, Calif., Honda (9-10)
10. Jessica Patterson, Tallahassee, Fla., Yamaha (30-2)
2013 WMX Triple Crown Points:
1. Courtney Duncan, New Zealand, Yamaha 50
2. Sayaka Kaneshiro, Japan, Honda 42
3. Taylor Higgins, Mesquite, Texas, Honda 36
4. Mackenzie Tricker, Australia, Yamaha 35
5. Jacqueline Strong, Sedona, Ariz., KTM 31
6. Alexah Pearson, Sacramento, Calif., KTM 29
7. Mariana Balbi, Brazil, Kawasaki 28
8. Sara Pettersson, Sweden, KTM 25
9. Hailey Larson, Mill Valley, Calif., Honda 23
10. Jessica Patterson, Tallahassee, Fla., Yamaha 22