2013 Honda CB500X | Preview
Honda Releases the CB 500 X
There’s one approach to Honda’s new CB500X -think of it as the NC700X’s younger and slimmer sibling.
The CB500X brings an adventure-minded bike to Honda’s new 2013 family of 500cc motorcycles, which includes the sporty CBR500R and the naked CB500F.
But although marketed towards the entry-level adventure crowd, the CB500 X is more of a comfortable standard motorcycle with some appealing adventure looks, a statement that also holds merit for the NC700X.
The CB500X takes styling directly from the NC700X, the bike arriving with a half fairing and a lower, plastic skid plate. Both bikes also share the same suspension, a 41mm fork and Pro Link single shock, though the NC700X has more wheel travel (NC700X – 6″ up front, 5.9″ out back; CB500X – 4.9″ up front, 4.7″ out back). And unlike the NC700X’s under-seat gas tank and 21 liters of storage where the gas tank usually resides, the CB500X arrives with a normal fuel-tank setup.
The CB500X also gets it’s power from a parallel twin engine, though 170cc smaller than the NC700X’s (670cc). This 500cc engine is completely new, and features Honda’s Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) and a counterbalancer that helps keep vibrations down.
Handling the braking on the lightweight (430 lbs. without ABS) machine is a single 320mm wave disc squeezed by a twin-piston caliper up front, and a single 240mm wave disc squeezed by a single caliper out back.
The CB500X also has other features found in the adventure scene – a compact, adjustable windscreen, a large 4.5-gallon fuel tank, wide handlebars, extremely upright ergonomics and 17-inch wheels.
Honda’s new CB500X will find itself on secondary roads, but likely short ones that lead back to the main ones. There may be limits to its marketed adventure ability, but there’s no doubt about it looking the part.
2013 Honda CB500X / CB500XA (ABS) Highlights:
- Adventure-style seating position makes for unrestricted maneuvering and keeps the rider comfortable during adventure trips, commuting or short hops around town.
- All-new 500cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin DOHC engine is thoroughly modern in design and produces a broad power spread for enjoyable and economical riding.
- Four-valve cylinder head design uses lightweight rocker-arm valve actuation with shim-type valve adjustment.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) continuously monitors several variables to ensure the correct fuel mixture is delivered for the existing riding and atmospheric conditions for crisp throttle response throughout a wide variety of riding conditions.
- Engine counterbalancer and 180-degree crankpin reduce engine vibration for superior rider comfort.
- Preloaded, scissors-type gears for the primary drive and engine counterbalancer gears help reduce engine noise.
- Diamond-shaped 35mm steel tube frame is lightweight and rigid for responsive sport handling.
- Stout 41mm front fork with 4.9 inches of travel returns a plush yet controlled ride.
- Sophisticated Pro-Link® single-shock rear suspension offers nine-stage spring preload adjustability and 4.7 inches of controlled travel.
- Lightweight cast aluminum wheels, 120/70-17 in front and 160/60-17 rear, return sporting feel and handling traits.
- Front 320mm wave-style disc brake and 240mm rear provides strong stopping power.
- ABS version available for enhanced braking characteristics in less than ideal conditions.
- Amber-tinted instrument display features speedometer, tachometer, odometer/A&B tripmeters, fuel gauge, clock, mpg, average fuel consumption, and current fuel consumption.
- Wide handlebar is designed specifically to fit the adventure-style rider ergonomics.
- Available in Matte Black Metallic on both standard and ABS models.
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Honda Genuine Accessories: Saddlebag Case, Color-Matched Saddlebag Cover, Saddlebag Case Stay, 35-Liter Top Box, Front Side Pipe, Knuckle Guard, Heated Grips, Heated Grips Attachment, Centerstand, Carbon Fiber-Look Front Fender, Carbon Fiber-Look Radiator Shroud, Carbon Fiber-Look Lower Under Cowl, Carbon Fiber-Look Under Cover, Carbon Fiber-Look Rear Tire Hugger, Tall Windscreen, Wind Deflector, Rear Carrier, One-Key Locking System
2013 Honda CB500X / CB500XA Specs:
- Engine Type: 500cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin
- Bore and Stroke: 67.0mm x 66.8mm
- Compression ratio: 10.7:1
- Valve Train: DOHC; four valves per cylinder
- Induction: PGM-FI with 34mm throttle bodies
- Ignition: Computer-controlled digital transistorized with electronic advance
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final Drive: O-ring-sealed chain
- Front Suspension: 41mm fork; 4.9 inches travel
- Rear Suspension: Pro-Link single shock with nine-position spring preload adjustability; 4.7 inches travel
- Front Brakes: Twin-piston caliper with single 320mm wave disc
- Rear Brakes: Single-caliper 240mm wave disc
- Optional Honda ABS
- Tires: Front: 120/70-17; Rear: 160/60-17
- Wheelbase: 55.9 inches
- Rake (Caster Angle): 26° 5′
- Trail: 109mm (4.29 inches)
- Seat Height: 31.9 inches
- Fuel Capacity: 4.5 gallons including 0.7-gallon reserve
- Estimated Fuel Economy: TBD
- Curb Weight: 430 pounds (CB500X) / 434 pounds (CB500XA)
2013 Honda CB500X Color Options / MSRP:
- Matte Black Metallic / TBD