Bizouard Wins Cologne FIM Freestyle MX
2012 FIM Freestyle MX World Championship
Cologne became a Mecca for the motorcycle industry last week. Beginning 2nd October, the Rhine metropolis played host to INTERMOT, Europe’s largest motorcycle trade fair, and NIGHT of the JUMPS came to the LANXESS arena on Saturday for the tenth round of the FIM Freestyle MX World Championships, showcasing the world’s most spectacular motorcycle sport.
Twelve freestyle motocross pros fought it out for championship points in front of an excited crowd of over 12,000 fans who had come to enjoy the spectacle and cheer on their German heroes, Fabian Bauersachs, Hannes Ackermann and Kai Haase.
For Bauersachs, this was to be the final appearance of his active competitive career. The German FMX legend again showed why for years he has been one of Europe’s top riders. He bowed out with his signature tricks, Scorpion Tsunami and One Hand Nac Flip.
It was not enough for the finals, but the crowd still cheered him as if he were the winner. Kai Haase also failed to go through, despite executing a number of backflip combos. However, Hannes Ackermann pulled off plenty of thrilling jumps – Tsunami, Hart Attack and Cliffhanger Backflip – to move into fourth position in qualifying.
Three Frenchmen followed the German rider into the finals, Brice Izzo, David Rinaldo and Remi Bizouard. The two Czech riders, Petr Pilat and Podmol completed the line-up for the final round.
Maxime Gregoire claimed victory in a spectacular Whip contest. He then tried his hand at The Volt in ‘best trick’ but fell on landing. Spectators saw another fall in Maxxis Highest Air when Luc Ackermann suffered a spill. The 14-year-old began by jumping 9:00 metres, a world record for his age group, only to crash out on landing when attempting 9:50m.
The finale could hardly have been more exciting. One minute Brice was skilfully performing Underflips but then he too had to eat dirt, resulting in only sixth place. Red Bull rider Petr Pilat pulled off a 360 above the kicker ramp and went into fourth position. Hannes Ackermann again executed Tsunami Flip, Hart Attack and Cliffhanger Backflip, plus Airplane, Clicker to Superflip and many other spectacular moves. Pilat beat him, though, by only six points and he finished fifth.
David Rinaldo left nobody in any doubt as to why he belonged on the podium. Lazyboy Flip and Double Seatgrab Backflip saw him move up safely into third place, but then judges put Libor with his 360 and Underflip Indy one point ahead of Rinaldo.
Still, it was Remi Bizouard who once more reigned supreme. The two-time world champion performed a 360, Hart Attack Backflip, Cliffhanger Flip and his Ruler Flip, giving him victory at the tenth World Cup competition. Consequently, he remains the hottest contender in the hunt for the FIM Freestyle MX World Championship title; the Frenchman is in first place overall in the championship standings on 192 points. Podmol occupies the number two spot with a 20-point deficit.
The next world championship points are up for grabs in the Latvian capital Riga on Oct. 27. Another victory there should give Bizouard the world championship.
Cologne NIGHT of the JUMPs, FIM Freestyle MX results:
Results NIGHT of the JUMPs – Final
1. Remi Bizouard FRA RFME Honda 407 Points
2. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Yamaha 392 Points
3. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 391 Points
4. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 365 Points
5. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 360 Points
6. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 344 Points
1. Remi Bizouard FRA RFME Honda 348 Points
2. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Yamaha 333 Points
3. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 326 Points
4. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 317 Points
5. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 308 Points
6. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 306 Points
7. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 290 Points
8. Martin Koren CZE ACCR KTM 281 Points
9. Maxime Gregoire FRA FFM Yamaha 276 Points
10. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL PZM KTM 275 Points
11. Kai Haase GER DMSB Suzuki 262 Points
12. Fabian Bauersachs GER DMSB Suzuki 196 Points
Results Whip Contest
1. Maxime Gregoire FRA FFM Yamaha
2. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL PZM KTM
3. Kai Haase GER DMSB Suzuki
Results MAXXIS Highest Air
1. Massimo Bianconcini ITA 9,50 Meter
2. Luc Ackermann GER 9,50 Meter
FIM Freestyle MX World Championships
Ranking (after 10th contest)
1. Remi Bizouard FRA RFME Honda 192 Points
2. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Yamaha 172 Points
3. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 132 Points
4. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 131 Points
5. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 90 Points
6. Maikel Melero ESP RFME KTM 80 Points
7. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL PZM KTM 77 Points
8. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 48 Points
9. Javier Villegas CHL FMC Yamaha 47 Points
10. Lukas Weis GER DMSB Suzuki 38 Points
11. Ivan Zucconi ITA PZM KTM 37 Points
12. Clinton Moore AUS MA Yamaha 34 Points
13. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 33 Points
14. Martin Koren CZE ACCR KTM 29 Points
15. Aleksey Koleshnikov RUS MFR Yamaha 27 Points