2012 Ride for Kids
Blue skies, high spirits and great results marked June 10 in Cleveland, Ohio, and Golden, Colo., as Ride for Kids participants raised $138,327 for the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation (PBTF).
Cleveland Rocked its Ride for Kids Sunday, Raising $95,523 for the PBTF
The event started at a new location, the soccer fields at Independence High School. Skies were sunny as 375 supporters came out to ride for brain tumor survivors Zackary, Emily, Josh, Lindy, Lucy, Amie, Becca, Ryan, and Ashley.
Many of these “stars” led the ride through Cleveland’s Metroparks. At the celebratory program afterward, they talked about their lives. Star Lucy sang to the crowd and thanked them for being there.
Dr. Tanya M. Tekautz, a pediatric oncologist at the Cleveland Clinic Hospitals, told everyone that their fundraising makes a difference to researchers.
The top fundraisers were:
- Individuals: David & Ruth Ostoich, $17,030
- Motorcycle club/chapter: N.E. Ohio Brothers of the Third Wheel, $10,610
- Motorcycle business: Mad River Harley Davidson, $13,422
- Special organization: Team AEIO4U, $13,799
- Cleveland’s drawing prize winners were David Ostoich (Honda motorcycle); Michelle Nemeth (Dunlop tire); Carol Beck (Tourmaster gift certificate) and Bruce Hickey (Cardo Scala Rider).
Volunteers are the heart of Ride for Kids. Cleveland’s team was led this year by Ruth and David Ostoich and Frank Strack.
Colorado Unites for Common Cause
Golden, Colo., hosted its ninth Ride for Kids on June 10 to support local brain tumor survivors like Sean, Colin, Patricia, Spencer, and Devin. The event raised $42,804 for the PBTF.
It was chilly but bright as the ride left the Jefferson County Human Services Building. Natural beauty was everywhere the motorcyclists looked, with sweeping views of mountains, lakes and rivers.
Back in Golden, the 200 participants gathered to honor the “stars” of the day. “It feels like a family here, all of us together for a common cause,” said brain tumor survivor Devin.
The crowd also heard from neuro-oncologist Jean Mulcahy Levy and social worker Michele Mitchell of Children’s Hospital Colorado.
Colorado’s No. 1 fundraisers were:
- Individual: Pamela McCombs, $12,000
- Motorcycle club/chapter: GWRRA CO-G, $12,205
- Motorcycle business: Nece Trikes, $12,070
- Special organization: John W. Ertl Foundation, $85
- Product donors supplied drawing prizes that went to Bill Slater (Honda motorcycle); Terry Briggs (AGV helmet); Robert Williams (Dunlop tire); Ken Simons (Tourmaster gift certificate) and Gregory Holm (Cardo Scala Rider).
The hardworking local volunteer task force was led by Pat and Dave Andrews, Linda Shelley, and Rachel Ward.
About the PBTF Ride for Kids
Ride for Kids supports the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation (PBTF) by funding medical research and family support programs. We thank our presenting sponsor, Honda Riders Club of America, and our national insurance sponsor, GEICO. The next Ride for Kids event is on Sunday, July 8 in South Bend, Ind. Learn more at rideforkids.org or call 800-253-6530.