Up until this week, the Zero S F79 was the top-performing electric sportbike, reaching speeds of 88 mph and having a 114-mile range.But Brammo answered, releasing the all-new 2012 Empulse and Empulse R; the R model has a top speed over the 100mph mark, and gets 121 miles to a charge. These claims give the Brammo Empulse R the top performance honors.The Oregon-based company released the new Empulse models at Boulevard 3 in Los Angeles this week, giving specs on the bikes that feature the world’s first drivetrain that has been designed and built for a production electric motorcycle.Brammo says: “Research conducted by Brammo with both customers and dealers has driven the development of the Empulse and Empulse R. As a result, these motorcycles now come with a water-cooled AC motor and fully integrated IET six speed transmission, seating for two, regenerative braking and on board J1772 Level 2 charging capability.“To ensure the highest quality performance and design, Brammo works with internationally renowned manufacturers for superior components of their motorcycles. This close attention to the supply chain ensures the durability, reliability and ultimately future resale value of Brammo products.”The two models vary as follows:
- The Empulse body work is all plastic has semi adjustable front suspension and semi adjustable rear suspension.
- The Empulse R uses carbon fiber for headlight shroud, front and rear fenders, top panel and the rear light housing.
- Brammo promised that of the first 1000 people who pre ordered an Empulse, one would be selected at random to receive their motorcycle free of charge. Last week from the first 1000 orders six finalists were selected. At the event, Craig Bramscher rolled a dice and chose the lucky winner.
- Empulse: 8.9% for 72 months at $303, 6.9% financing for 60 month at $334 and 3.9% for 36 months at $499
- Empulse R: 8.9% for 72 months at $339, 6.9% financing for 60 month at $373 and 3.9% for 36 months at $558