2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX
As the adventure-touring segment continues to grow, more manufacturers are upgrading their existing models to stay competitive, including Moto Guzzi.
For 2012, the motorcycle company owned by Piaggio has improved upon its Stelvio 1200 NTX, which is named after the Alpine pass that connects Valtelline Valley to Vinschgau Valley.
The 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX has gained more performance, now pushing 105 horsepower, and a more streamlined profile.
But the Madnello del Labrio-based company didn’t stop there; Moto Guzzi also added many technical/functional upgrades, such as the enlarged gas tank that now hold 8.5 gallons of gas, with an additional 1.8 gallons on reserve, ABS that can be shut off, Automatic Traction Control, heated grips and roomy aluminum sidebags, to name a few.
Starting with the Transverse V-Twin, the Quattrovalvole (four-valve) engine, which was first introduced in 2006, no features additional upgrades to deliver the 105 horsepower at 7,250 rpm, and 83 ft. lbs. of torque at 5,800 rpm.
The latest iteration of this well-tested and road-proven powerplant delivers a maximum torque of over 83 ft. lbs. delivered at 5,800 rpm and easily reaches 105 peak hp at 7,250 rpm.
The wew technical advances for the 1200cc 90-degree V-Twin include:
- Raised cam profile single camshaft timing system driven by silent "Morse" type chains with hydraulic chain tensioners
- Forged pistons with three rings cooled by oil jets in the crankcase
- Ultra-light valves in special alloy steel with 5mm stems
- Conical valve springs that eliminate resonance and power loss at high engine speeds
Hooked to the 8V 1200 is a six-speed transmission with an easy-to-find neutral position.
The frame on the 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX is a twin-spar design, made of high-strength steel. The frame is designed with 2.5 mm thick directional tubes that anchors the engine through six connecting points, two more than in usual frames, which give high rigidity to the assembly.
Up front, the Stelvio NTX features a completely adjustable USD fork (spring preload and hydraulic compression and rebound damping) with 45 mm diameter fork tubes at 6.69 inches of travel.
Out back, the rear suspension features a single arm with progressive linkage, monoshock with adjustable hydraulic rebound damping and spring preload adjuster knob that features 6.10 inches of travel.
The Stelvio 1200 NTX rolls on light alloy, tubeless spoked wheels (2.50" x 19" front, 4.25" x 17" rear).
Stopping the Stelvio NTX 1200 are Brembo brakes with ABS that can be turned off. The front features four Brembo piston radial calipers with two racing 320mm discs, with a new design to improve heat dissipation, and the rear features two piston Brembo caliper with a 282mm disc.
Aesthetically, the Stevlio NTX features a new streamlined design for better wind protection. The new half-fairing flows into the headlight assembly, providing a unique look, but is also integrated with the new 8.5-gallon fuel tank, double the previous model’s capacity.
Moto Guzzi says the front fairing, windscreen and the half-fairing with integrated turn signals are all brand new elements that together, give the front-end of the Stelvio a cutting-edge look.
Moto Guzzi also added much protection to the bike for the true adventure rider, such as aluminum crash bars that protect the oil sump, engine, and cylinder heads, and hand-guards and a generous windshield with additional wind deflectors that guard the rider from road debris and colder weather.
Adding to the comfort, the 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX features an upright riding position due to a "perfect" triangle design of the seat footrests and handlebars. Also, the Stelvio features an adjustable windshield, seat height (32 or 33 inches), handlebar inclination, clutch levers and foot pegs.
Moto Guzzi also upgraded the many other that are found at the controls. A new instrument panel design includes a 12V power outlet, a new fuse box compartment, new rpm indicator graphics and a fuel range display with a six-mark fuel indicator that integrates with on-board computer functions, from fuel consumption averages and trip data essentials to diagnostics. The display also lets the rider control hand grip heating and activates the standard Automatic Traction Control (ATC) system, which can also be turned off.
The 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX will arrive in North American dealers in May.
Following are the specs, color options and MSRP for the 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX.
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX Specs:
- Type: 90° V-twin engine, 4-stroke
- Cooling: Through air and oil and an independent cooling pump
- Engine capacity: 1,151 cc
- Bore and stroke: 95 x 81.2 mm
- Compression ratio: 11: 1
- Maximum power : 105HP (77 kW) at 7,250 rpm
- Maximum torque: 83.3 Ft. Lbs. (113 Nm) at 5,800 rpm
- Fuel supply / Ignition Multipoint sequential electronic ignition, Magneti Marelli IAW5A phased, alfa-n system; two Ø 50mm throttle body, Weber IWP 189 injectors, two lambda probes.
- Exhaust system: Stainless steel, 2-in-1 type, three-way catalytic converter with lambda probe.
- Transmission: Six Speed
- Type: High yield strength tubular steel with integrated engine
- Centre to centre distance: 60.4 in. / 1,535 mm
- Trail: 4.92 in. / 125 mm
- Headstock angle: 27°
- Steering angle: 34°
- Front suspension: Completely adjustable USD fork (spring preload and hydraulic compression and rebound damping) with 45 mm diam
- Front wheel travel: 6.69 in. / 170 mm
- Rear suspension: Single arm with progressive linkage, monoshock with adjustable hydraulic rebound damping and spring preload adjuster knob
- Rear wheel travel: 6.10 in. / 155 mm
- Front brake: Brembo 320 mm stainless steel floating double discs, radial calipers with 4 horizontally opposed pistons
- Rear brake : Brembo 282 mm stainless steel fixed disc, floating caliper with 2 parallel pistons
- Wheels: Light alloy (tubeless, spoked)
- Front wheel: 2.50" x 19"
- Rear wheel : 4.25" x 17"
- Front tire 110/80 R19"
- Rear tire 150/70 R17"
- Length: 88.53 in. / 2250 mm
- Height: 58.26 in. / 1,480 mm
- Saddle height: 32 – 33 in. / 820-840 mm (adjustable)
- Minimum ground clearance: 8.26 in. / 210 mm
- Curb weight (Ready to Ride): 598 lbs / 272 Kg
- Fuel tank capacity: 8.5 Gallons / 32 liters; 1.8 Gallons (Reserve) / 7 liters (Reserve)
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 NTX Color Options/MSRP:
- Lava Black / $15,990
- Burnt Oragne / $15,990