2012 Honda NC700X | Preview
2012 Honda Motorcycle
During the New York City International Motorcycle Show Friday, Honda unveiled its latest 2012 offering – the NC700X.
The NC700X was not designed to fit into just one category. It rather appears as a crossover between what some would consider a standard commuter or an adventure bike.
Regardless of what you may call it, though, the NC700 X is loaded with no-nonsense features that are offered at a low price point. But for those who want to spend a bit more, there’s also much technology offered, such as the option of Honda’s second-general automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) and Combined Antilock Braking System.
Powering the NC700X is a liquid-cooled, 670cc parallel-twin that was designed to deliver linear power, making it optimal for any urban situation. The engine, which sits in the chassis at a unique 62-degree forward lean, arrives with Honda’s Programmed Fuel Injection and a 36mm throttle body that provides crisp throttle response.
To provide agility, the NC700X’s chassis was designed to enhance mass centralization and lower the center of gravity. The Honda features a 41mm fork up front that provides 6 inches of travel, and a Pro-Link single shock rear suspension system out back that offers 5.9 inches of wheel travel.
Stopping the 505-lbs. (wet) NC700X is a single 320mm discs up front squeezed by a dual-piston caliper (three-piston caliper for ABS), and a single 240mm disc out back squeezed by a single-piston caliper.
The NC700X also features a unique design for interior storage; where the gas take usually resides is a 21-liter compartment that could swallow a full-face helmet. And if more space is needed, Honda offers an optional 45-liter trunk and 29-liter saddlebags that are color matched to the only color the motorcycle is available in – Light Silver Metallic.
And the best part? The base model is available for under $7,000.
Following are the highlights, specs, color option and MSRP for the 2012 NC700X.
2012 Honda NC700X Highlights:
- All-new liquid-cooled eight-valve 670cc parallel-twin engine pumps out plenty of torque in the low-end and midrange for easily accessible power.
- The impressively broad torque curve gives the NC700X an extraordinarily linear and smooth power delivery.
- Purpose-built engine architecture with a relatively long engine stroke (80mm combined with a 73mm bore diameter) and a high-inertia crankshaft add to the NC700X’s extremely tractable power characteristics.
- The 62-degree forward lean given to the cylinder assembly facilitates near-vertical mounting of the single 36mm throttle body for superior intake port positioning and shaping. In addition, special shaping to the combustion chambers further enhances engine combustion efficiency for clean burning and optimal power production.
- Engine balancer shaft quells vibration for smooth, comfortable operation.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) continuously monitors numerous variables to ensure the correct fuel mixture for existing riding and atmospheric conditions, thereby delivering optimal performance and remarkably crisp throttle response over a wide range of operating conditions.
- NC700X features manual six-speed transmission.
- NC700X DCT/ABS features a second-generation automatic six-speed Honda Dual Clutch Transmission that uses two hydraulically controlled clutches to deliver quick and smooth gear changes in a choice of three modes: Manual (MT), which allows the rider to shift gears using buttons, and two automatic (AT) modes-S for sport riding and D for everyday use.
- DCT model also features Honda Combined ABS to provide full antilock functionality for powerful and secure braking action.
- Fuel tank located under the seat contributes to mass centralization and a low center of gravity, making the NC700X feel remarkably light.
- Large 21-liter secure internal storage area (positioned where the fuel tank typically rests in other models) accepts a helmet or other gear for added versatility.
- Fuel capacity of 3.7 gallons gives the NC700X a cruising range of nearly 240 miles.
- A rigid and compact diamond-shape steel frame, low center of gravity plus long-travel suspension help make the NC700X delightfully responsive and agile.
- Brawny 41mm front fork provides a full 6.0 inches of travel, while the Pro-Link single shock rear suspension system delivers an impressive 5.9 inches of wheel travel.
- Open, roomy ergonomics position the rider in a well-balanced seating position for all-day comfort.
- Modern adventure-bike styling gives the NC700X the look of an urban assault commuter as well as a country road explorer.
- Windscreen and bodywork route wind around the rider, adding to comfort and reducing fatigue.
- A large array of available accessories allows owners to add just the right combination of capabilities to suit individual preferences and expand their adventure.
- Honda Genuine Accessories: 45-Liter Rear Trunk, Rear Trunk Liner, 29-Liter Saddlebags, Saddlebag Liner Set, Saddlebag Panel Kit, Windscreen (High), Rear Carrier, Front Side Cowl Panel, Foot Deflector Kit, Leg Deflector Kit, LED Fog Light Kit, Front Accent Pipe, Heated Grips, 12V DC Socket Kit, Centerstand (Final accessories are TBD and are subject to change without notice)
2012 Honda NC700X / NC700X Automatic Dual Clutch Transmission and Combined ABS Specs:
- Engine Type: 670cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin
- Bore and Stroke: 73mm x 80mm
- Compression ratio: 10.7:1
- Valve Train: SOHC; four valves per cylinder
- Induction: PGM-FI with 36mm throttle body
- Ignition: Digital transistorized with electronic advance
- Transmission: Six-speed / Automatic six-speed with two modes and a manual mode
- Final Drive: Chain
- Suspension Front: 41mm fork; 6.0 inches travel
- Rear: Pro-Link single shock with spring preload adjustability; 5.9 inches travel
- Brakes Front: Single 320mm disc with two-piston caliper / Single 320mm disc with three-piston caliper
- Rear: Single 240mm disc with single-piston caliper / Single 240mm disc with single-piston caliper; Combined ABS
- Tires Front: 120/70ZR17 radial
- Rear: 160/60ZR17 radial
- Wheelbase: 60.6 inches
- Rake (Caster angle): 27.0°
- Trail: 110.0mm (4.3 inches)
- Seat Height: 32.7 inches
- Fuel Capacity: 3.7 gallons
- Estimated Fuel Economy: TBD
- Color: Light Silver Metallic
- Curb Weight: 472 pounds / 505 pounds
2012 Honda NC700X Color Option/MSRP:
- Light Silver Metallic/$6,999 (Available: Summer 2012)