2011 BMW UK Motorcycle SalesCombined sales of the BMW R 1200 GS and R 1200 GS Adventure variant made BMW’s class-leading adventure sports machine the UK’s best selling motorcycle over 125cc in 2011.
Popularity and strong sales of the GS range of motorcycles, which was expanded in 2011 to include the new G 650 GS, gave BMW Motorrad a 32-percent market share in the adventure-sports sector which it created over 30 years ago with the R 80 G/S and continues to lead today.BMW has enjoyed even more success in the touring sector, where the R 1200 RT, K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL respectively were the three top best-selling motorcycles. As a result, BMW Motorrad’s market share in the touring market has increased by over a quarter in just one year, rising from 38 to 48 percent.These figures, combined with strong sales of the S 1000 RR, BMW Motorrad’s first supersports machine, and the 2011 model range, have seen BMW Motorrad’s overall market share in the UK increase to 12.7 percent (Market share of motorcycles over 125cc).Adrian Roderick (General Manager for BMW Motorrad UK) says: "In a market that continues to decline, BMW Motorrad has seen strong sales both across its traditional sectors, adventure-sports and touring, as well as in the highly-competitive supersports market."For the S 1000 RR, which entered its second year on sale in 2011, to be the third-best selling bike over 125cc is very rewarding but the fact that one in every two touring motorcycles sold in the UK is a BMW and one in three adventure-sports bikes is a GS is a real measure of our continued success."And with a significantly updated new BMW S 1000 RR, two brand new solution for urban transport in the C 600 Sport and C 650 GT maxi-scooters and a whole host of new additions to the BMW range including new GS models and special editions, 2012 looks to be an even better year for BMW and its customers."BMW R 1200 GS UK Sales Highlights:
- Sales of the BMW R 1200 GS and R 1200 GS Adventure combined (1070 and 867 respectively) make BMW’s class-leading adventure sports machine the UK’s best selling motorcycle over 125cc
- Three of the top four best-selling motorcycles over 125cc were BMWs (R 1200 GS, S 1000 RR and R 1200 GS Adventure)
- BMW Motorrad’s motorcycle share of the UK motorcycle market has more than doubled in just four years – rising from 5.9 percent in 2007 to 12.7 percent in 2011 (over 125cc)
- BMW Motorrad continues to dominate the adventure-sport sector with a 32 percent market share
- The S 1000 RR was the second best-selling supersports bike (over 125cc)
- In the UK, three of the top four best-selling bikes over 125cc were BMWs