Dodger Stadium AMA Supercross | Results
2012 AMA Supercross Results
Spoiler Alert: 2012 AMA Supercross results from Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, listed below
The 2012 AMA Supercross Championship headed to Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles Saturday evening for Round 3 of 17, a race plagued by a red flag on the very first lap in the SX class.
During the start of the Supercross main event, last week’s winner at Phoenix, Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey took the holeshot, and was quickly engaged in a fierce battle with the reigning Supercross champion, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto.
But the race was red flagged when Star Valli Yamaha’s Ryan Morais landed on Muscle Milk Honda’s Trey Canard. The scary incident had medical staff attending to the downed Canard before he was taken off track. According to various Tweet reports, Canard fractured his back and undergo surgery, and Morais broke his jaw; no further reports were released as of this writing.
On the restart, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Jake Weimer got the holeshot ahead of Two-Two Motorsports Chad Reed, JGRMX Yamaha’s James Stewart and Dungey. By the sixth lap, Reed moved into first, holding the position to take his first win of 2012 AMA Supercross.
A three-way battle begin between Weimer, Stewart and Dungey, but Weimer crashed, falling back, and so did Stewart. Due to the crashes, Dungey moved into second, where he eventually finished. Stewart would take third.
The man who won the season opener, Villopoto, took a hard-earned fourth following a start from the back of the pack after mowing over a tuff block. Fifth would go to Rockstar Maktia Suzuki’s Brett Metcalfe.
Chad Reed (Two-Two Motorsports Honda CRF450 Supercross) says: “I have been trying to figure out what I have been doing wrong this year. I switched to a tire that I used last year and it worked. I am going to keep trying to get better each week. I will take the good with the bad and keep moving forward.”
With his second place, Dungey is the only rider to have finished on the podium in all three rounds so far in 2012 AMA Supercross; he retains the overall points lead, four ahead of the men tied for second – Villopoto and Reed.
Ryan Dungey (Red Bull KTM SX-F 450 Supercross): “It feels great to hold the red number plate as we head into the fourth round. It’s still early in the series, but it is definitely off to a good start for the Red Bull/KTM Team. I can’t thank everybody on the team enough. They have put in so many hours and we have made so much progress on the new 450. The bike is running amazing.”
In the Western Regional Supercross Lites Class main event, GEICO Honda’s Eli Tomac quickly passed Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot winner Martin Davalos, of the Rockstar Suzuki team, shortly after turn one and rode flawlessly for the next 15 laps. On lap 6, Monster Energy Yamaha’s Zach Osborne, of Chesterfield, S.C., passed Davalos, for the number two position. While riding in third place, Davalos crashed and lost several positions before reentering the race, Feld Motor Sports reports.
Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Dean Wilson, who won last weekend’s main event in Phoenix, passed Osborne on lap 12, where he would finish. Wilson currently sits in second place. Osborne earned a career-best third-place finish, Feld reports.
Tomac’s win marked the third of his career, and he is now the Western Regional Supercross Lites Class points leader, one point ahead of Wilson.
Eli Tomac (GEICO Honda CRF250R Supercross Lites) says: “I was able to sneak into the lead and ride 15 solid laps .It’s a night and day difference when you get a good start. I should have been getting starts like this all season.”
Round 4 of 17 occurs next Saturday in the O.com Stadium in Oakland, Calif.
Photograpy by Don Williams
2012 Dodger Stadium AMA Supercross Class Results:
1. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
3. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
4. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
5. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
6. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
7. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki
8. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki
9. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
10. Mike Alessi, Hilliard, Calif., Suzuki
11. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
12. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
13. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
2012 AMA Supercross Class Season Standings (following round 3 of 17):
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM – 67
2. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda – 63
3. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 63
4. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 48
5. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 48
6. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 43
7. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 38
8. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda – 36
9. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki – 36
10. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 28
2012 Dodger Stadium AMA Western Regional Supercross Lites Class Results:
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda
2. Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki
3. Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Yamaha
4. Tyla Rattray, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki
5. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki
6. Max Anstie, Hemet, Calif., Honda
7. Michael Lieb, Menifee, Calif., Honda
8. Matt Moss, Sussex Inlet, Australia, KTM
9. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Suzuki
10. Billy Laninovich, Riverside, Calif., Honda
2012 AMA Western Regional Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 63
2. Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki – 62
3. Tyla Rattray, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki – 60
4. Cole Seely, Murrieta, Calif., Honda – 47
5. Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Yamaha – 47
6. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki – 44
7. Marvin Musquin, Murrieta, Calif., KTM – 42
8. Max Anstie, Hemet, Calif., Honda – 32
9. Nico Izzi, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha – 32
10. Billy Laninovich, Riverside, Calif., Honda – 27