2012 Suzuki DR 650 SE | Preview
2012 Suzuki Dual Sport
Catering to the riders who want plenty of adventure both on and off the road, Suzuki offers its signature dual-sport motorcycle for 2012, the DR650SE, as a carryover model.
The DR 650 SE, which is available in Solid Iron Gray for 2012, was designed with suspension that’s comfortable on the pavement, but is capable of handling off-road situations, from grassy fire roads to tight trails. And the best part? The dual sport is available for under $6,000.
Powering the DR650SE is a proven-reliable 644cc, SOHC, four-stroke, air-cooled single-cylinder engine that is tuned for low- to mid-range power for off-road situations.
The DR’s powerplant has many technical features, also, such as Suzuki Advanced Cooling System (SACS), piston-jet cooling, an engine oil cooler further enhance consistent performance in a variety of conditions and Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM) coated aluminum cylinder that is used for "durability, weight reduction and superior heat transfer."
The DR 650 SE’s engine breaths through a simple but effective Mikuni 40mm carburetor, and a painted stainless-steel exhaust system designed to be light and corrosion-resistant.
To provide addition comfort on the road, the DR650SE’s engine features a gear-driven single counter balancer system that minimizes engine vibration. And starting is no problem due to an electric starter, which is combined with a mechanical automatic decompression system; the system is powered by a lightweight and compact low-maintenance battery.
The DR 650 SE’s motor is linked to a wide-ratio five-speed transmission and an O-ring sealed drive chain.
Regarding chassis and suspension, the 2012 Suzuki DR650SE features a short wheelbase and rigid, semi-double cradle frame for agility off the road. Handling up front is taking care of through cartridge front forks that "combine the best features of conventional and inverted designs, providing smooth and progressive action."
Out back, the DR650SE features a link-type rear suspension with piggyback-style shock absorber and adjustable compression damping provides stable damping performance.
Both the front and rear suspensions provide 10.2 inches of wheel travel to take on any type of offroad terrain.
Stopping the 2012 Suzuki DR650SE is a single, 290mm floating disc brake up front squeezed by a two-piston caliper, with a single 240mm rear disc also squeezed by a two-piston caliper for optimal stopping power on the lightweight, 366-lbs. 650.
For further comfort, Suzuki also designed the DR650SE with an adjustable seat height, which can be 34.8 inches at its highest, and 33 inches at its lowest.
Following are the specs, color option and MSRP for the 2012 DR650SE:
2012 Suzuki DR 650 SE Specs:
- Type: 4-stroke, air-cooled, single cylinder, OHC
- Displacement: 644cc
- Fuel System: MIKUNI BST40, single
- Starter: Electric
- Ignition: Electronic ignition (CDI)
- Transmission: 5-speed constant mesh
- Final Drive Chain: DID525V9, 110 links
- Suspension Front: Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
- Suspension Rear : Link type, coil spring, oil damped
- Brakes Front: Disc brake
- Brakes Rear: Disc brake
- Tires Front: 90/90-21 M/C 54S, tube type
- Tires Rear: 120/90-17 M/C 64S, tube type
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 13.0 L (3.4 US gallons)
- Fuel Tank Capacity California: 12.0 L (3.2 US gallons)
- Overall Length: 2255 mm (88.8 in), Low 2235 (88.0 in)
- Overall Width: 865 mm (34.1 in)
- Wheelbase: 1490 mm (58.7 in), Low 1475 mm (58.1 in)
- Ground Clearance: 265 mm (10.4 in), Low 225 mm (8.9 in)
- Seat Height: 885 mm (34.8 in), Low 845 mm (33.0 in)
- Curb Weight: 166 kg (366 lbs)
- MPG: 56
- Warranty: 12 month unlimited mileage limited warranty.
2012 Suzuki DR 650 SE Color Option/MSRP:
- Solid Iron Gray / $5,999