2012 Suzuki GSX-R 600 | Preview
2012 Suzuki Motorcycle
Over the years, the Suzuki GSX-R 600 has proven itself again and again on the race track. Take the AMA Daytona Sportbike Championship for example; the Suzuki GSX-R600 earned the title for the past two consecutive years.
Throughout those years on race circuits across the world, Suzuki has used the on-track experience as the main platform for research and development. And when the 2011 GSX-R 600 arrived on the market, it was an immediate hit due to the engine refinements and chassis upgrades.
In 2011, the GSXR 600 received the same upgrades as its older sibling, the GSX-R 750: race-proven advanced engine technology, with broader power delivery, improved throttle response, lower emissions and about 10-percent better fuel mileage.
Besides shaving some weight, Suzuki also fitted the 600cc with race-breed Showa suspension, Brembo braking system and a Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (S-DMS), which offers two race-developed engine maps with the push of a button.
And for 2012, Suzuki again offers the GSX-R 600 as a carry-over model, with the only changes being color options; the 2012 Gixxer 600 is offered in a Metallic Triton Blue/Glass Splash White or a Glass Sparkle Black.
Following are some quick highlight, specs, color options and MSRP for the 2012 Suzuki GSX-R 600:
2012 Suzuki GSX-R 600 Engine Features
- A 599cc, 4-cyclinder engine with a race-proven oversquare bore/stroke ratio is engineered for an exceptional high-revving performance.
- Shot-peened conrods, chrome-nitride-coated upper compression and oil control rings, and pentagonal ventilation holes help ensure efficient performance.
- Camshaft profiles feature an aggressive valve-lift curve, developed using proven Suzuki race team engine technology – its first use on a production Suzuki.
- 4-into-1 stainless-steel exhaust system with a titanium muffler, carries a Suzuki Exhaust Tuning (SET) valve maximizing torque and improving throttle response, especially in the low-to-mid RPM range.
- Advanced, Suzuki race team-developed transistorized ignition control circuit helps maintain more precise ignition timing across the range of engine temperatures.
- Lightweight, durable forged pistons designed using Finite Element Method (FEM) and fatigue analysis technology used in Suzuki race team racing engines.
- Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (S-DMS) offers push-button selection of two racing-developed engine control maps to suit road conditions and personal tastes.
- Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV) fuel injection uses fine-spray 8-hole injectors for improved fuel atomization, which contributes to more complete combustion and smooth power delivery.
2012 Suzuki GSX-R 600 Transmission Features
- A six-speed close-ratio transmission features vertically staggered shafts to reduce overall engine length.
- Race-proven back-torque-limiting clutch contributes to smoother downshifting and corner entry.
2012 Suzuki GSX-R 600 Suspension Features
- Race-developed, lightweight Showa Big Piston front-Fork (BPF) delivers superb feedback and consistent performance.
- Single Showa rear shock features externally adjustable rebound and compression damping, along with adjustable ride height.
2012 Suzuki GSX-R 600 Chassis Features
- Lightweight and compact twin-spar aluminum cradle frame made of five cast sections and cast swingarm.
- Electronically controlled steering damper provides lighter steering at lower speeds and more damping force on the racetrack and at highway speeds.
- Front brakes with fully floating 310mm discs and radial-mounted, four-piston Brembo monoblock calipers.
- Three-way adjustable footpegs, adjustable shift lever, and short fuel tank help compose a comfortable riding position.
- Small, simple and lightweight bodywork featuring exciting, aerodynamic styling.
Compact, lightweight instrument cluster with a built-in lap timer/stopwatch and programmable engine RPM indicator.
- Instrument cluster features an analog tachometer with LCD readouts of the speedometer, odometer, dual trip meter, reserve trip meter, clock, coolant temperature/oil pressure indicator, S-DMS and gear position indicators.
2012 Suzuki GSX-R 600 Specs:
- Engine: 599cc (36.5 cu. In), 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC
- Bore Stroke: 67.0 mm (2.638 in) x 42.5 mm (1.673 in)
- Compression Ratio: 12.9 : 1
- Fuel System: Fuel injection
- Ignition: Electronic ignition (Transistorized)
- Lubrication: Wet sump
- Transmission: 6-speed constant mesh
- Final Drive: RK525SMOZ8, 114 links
- Suspension Front: Showa Big Piston front-Fork (BPF)
- Suspension Rear : Link type, coil spring, oil damped
- Tires Front: 120/70ZR17M/C (58W), tubeless
- Tires Rear: 180/55ZR17M/C (73W), tubeless
- Brakes Front: Radial mounted, four-piston Brembo monoblock calipers, with dual fully floating 310 mm discs
- Brakes Rear: Disc brake
- Ground Clearance: 130 mm (5.12 in)
- Overall Length: 2030 mm (80.0 in)
- Overall Width: 710 mm (28.0 in)
- Seat Height: 810 mm (31.9 in)
- Wheelbase: 1385 mm (54.5 in)
- Curb Weight: 187 kg (412 lbs)
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 17.0 L (4.5/3.7 US/Imp gal)
- Warranty: 12 Month Limited Warranty
2012 Suzuki GSX-R 600 Color Options/MSRP:
- Metallic Triton Blue/Glass Splash White /$11,599
- Glass Sparkle Black /$11,599