2012 BMW G 650 GS Sertao | Preview
2012 BMW GS Sertao
BMW adventure riders will have a special treat for 2012 – the G 650 GS Sertao.
The Sertao, which in modernity refers to the dry landscapes of northern Brazil, is basically a remake of the F 650 GS, the Funduro with taller suspension, a taller windscreen and hand guards as standard accessories.
BMW says "whereas the G 650 GS thrilled riders with its lean, wiry offroad stature, the G 650 GS Sertão promises even more sporting characteristics, even greater offroad capabilities, and an even stronger desire for adventure."
Utilizing the standard GS-issue motor, a liquid-cooled, single-cylinder 652cc motor with dual-overhead camshafts and fuel injection, the Sertao G650GS makes a claimed 48 horsepower at 6500 rpm; but there’s an option for reduced output of 34 horsepower at 6500 rpm.
Where the standard G 650 GS’s chassis was designed for country roads and "light" offroad use, the Sertao is upgraded with long suspension travels and wire-spoke wheels; front suspension travel is 8.26 inches compared to 6.7 inches, and back suspension travel is also extended to 8.26 inches compared to 6.5 inches.
With the heightened suspension arrives a taller seat; the BMW G 650 GS Sertao is available with a 33.8-inch seat of 35.4-inch seat.
And with this upgraded performance arrives a new paints scheme. Stateside models will likely come standard with ABS. MSRP has not been reported as of this report.
BMW G 650 GS Sertao Highlights:
- High-torque and low-consumption single cylinder engine with 652 cc displacement. Max torque of 60 Nm at 5000 rpm and max output of 35 kW (48 hp) at 6500 rpm. Output reduction to 25 kW (34 hp) available.
- Offroad chassis concept with long spring travels (front/rear 8.267 inches/210 mm).
- Wire spoke wheels with light alloy rims. Wheel sizes 21" front and 17" rear.
- Dynamic color concept in Aura White / Arroyo Blue with Sertão lettering and seat in black/gray.
- Luggage carrier in black.
- Extended top front wheel cover.
- Two seat heights: 33.8 inches/860 mm (standard) and 35.4 inches/900 mm (special accessory).
- High windscreen.
- Hand protectors.
- Engine guard of aluminum.
- Disengageable BMW Motorrad ABS (option ex works).
- Extensive range of special accessories.