2012 Moto Guzzi Motorcycle
Last month, Moto Guzzi announced the final edition of the historic California model during its 90th Anniversary celebration at Moto Guzzi World Days in Mandello del Lario, Italy.
After 40 years in production, the new California 90 will be the last version of the iconic California family produced and imported to the United States.
Guzzisti and interested two-wheel aficionados can contact a local Moto Guzzi dealer, starting today, to pre-order a piece of history. The Moto Guzzi California 90 will have an MSRP of $15,990 and arrives at dealers in March 2012.
Exemplifying a stunningly beautiful lineage of the Guzzi brand, the California 90 was crafted with the same care and attention that has made the brand famous. A few of the highlighted features include:
- A color scheme with a two-colored chromium plated concept of retro California Metallic Orange / Diamond White.
- A tank logo which reproduces the writing used by Moto Guzzi and its original designers in the 1930s.
- An identification plate on the steering yoke that certifies the limited edition production as the final edition of the California.
- A Cowhide saddle as comfortable as an armchair to enjoy the open road on.
The "Anniversario" graphic enhances the beautiful spoked wheels, steel mudguards and fog lights – elements that were inherited from the Vintage model. The California 90 maintains the beautiful fit, finish and attention to detail that Guzzi’s are known for.
The windshield’s stainless steel brackets, a chrome-plated luggage rack, and two saddlebags with velvet lined interior boast "Guzzi Beauty" from start to finish.
The beating heart of the California 90 is the standard big block 90 degree v-twin engine, famous for its tremendous torque and renowned reliability. With a bore and stroke of 92 and 80 mm respectively, the 1064cc unit features aluminum alloy cylinders and pistons with a special wear-resistant graphite coating.
Fueled by a Weber Marelli IAW electronic injection system with 40 mm diameter throttle bodies, it boasts low emissions and a weighty thrust even at low rpm’s. The California 90 puts out a healthy 69 ft. lbs. of torque at 5,000 rpm, and further capacity to stretch out to 6,400 rpm where it puts out its maximum power of 74 hp.
Just like the engine, the chassis aspects of the Moto Guzzi California 90 also share the same characteristics as the Vintage version. The frame is a modular double cradle with a steering angle of 29 degrees which ensures stability and precision in turns. Comfort is guaranteed by quality suspension components.
At the front is a Marzocchi fork with 45 mm stanchions and 140 mm wheel travel while the rear has an aluminum swingarm linked to two shock absorbers, featuring adjustable spring preload and 104 mm of wheel travel. The braking system boasts the best components available on the market: it consists of 320 mm dual front floating disc operated by two, four-piston Brembo calipers and a 282 mm rear disc with a Brembo two-piston caliper.
It is also characterized by the famous Moto Guzzi linked braking system. Other standout features are the spoked wheels, with 18-inches at the front and 17-inches at the rear to accommodate high profile tires, providing outstanding agility and a superlative feel.
Moto Guzzi California 90 Specs:
- Type: 90° V-Twin, 4 stroke
- Displacement: 1,064 cc
- Maximum power: 73.4 hp at 6,400 rpm
- Maximum torque: 64 ft. lbs at 5,000 rpm
- Exhaust system: 2 into 2 exhaust; three-way catalyzer with Lambda sensor (Euro 3)
- Gearbox: 5 speed
- Secondary drive: shaft drive, ratio 8/33 = 1:4.125
- Front suspension: Marzocchi hydraulic telescopic fork, Ø 45 mm, adjustable
- Rear suspension: swing arm with 2 hydraulic shock absorbers, adjustable
- Braking system: Integrated braking system, with proportioning and delay valve
- Front brake: double Brembo Serie Oro stainless steel floating disc, Ø 320 mm, 4 piston calipers
- Rear brake: single Brembo stainless steel floating disc, Ø 282 mm, 2 piston caliper
- Front tire: 110/90 18"
- Rear tire: 140/70 17"
- Length: 93 inches
- Width: 32 inches
- Height: 54.7 inches
- Seat height: 30.7 inches
- Dry weight: 553 lbs
- Fuel tank capacity: 4 Gallons (Reserve 1 gallon)
Moto Guzzi encourages all riders to own a piece of history now with the last branch in the California model family tree. To find a Moto Guzzi USA dealer near you, visit: motoguzzi-us.com.