2012 Star Motorcycle
For some riders, the classic hardtail flaunts the most styling. But there are problems with true classic hardtails, including realiabilty and power.
Enter the 2012 Star Road Star S. The cruiser has that low-slung, long classic hardtail look, but is powered by a 102 ci (1670cc) modern V-Twin with electronic fuel injection that provides “easy cold starting and flawless fuel delivery at nearly all altitudes and in nearly any conditions.”
With this modern engine arrives much modern technology, including ceramic-composite cylinder liners for optimal heat dissipation. Also arriving with this tech-savvy motor is an average of 36 mpg.
Regarding the chassis, the 2012 Star Road Star S has a long 66.5-inch wheelbase, providing to the overall classic look to the machine and rider comfort. The chassis rolls on 16-inch rims, with stopping provided through dual 298mm discs up front, and a 320mm single disc out back.
For 2012, the Road Star S gets additional chrome accents to the front end, and stainless-steel braided throttle and clutch cables.
Following are the highlights, specs, color option and MSRP for the 2012 Star Road Star S.
2012 Star Road Star S Highlights:
- 102-cubic-inch (1670cc) air-cooled, pushrod OHV 48-degree V-twin pumps out huge amounts of torque barely off idle for brisk acceleration and fantastic overall cruising performance.
- Computer-controlled fuel injection monitors multiple engine parameters to calculate perfect mixture under nearly all conditions.
- Air cooling, hydraulic valve lifters and belt final drive. Reduces maintenance requirements to a minimum.
- Smooth-shifting five-speed transmission delivers outstanding cruising performance with low rpm at highway speeds.
- Dry sump lubrication system uses a handy spin-on filter and helps centralize mass by helping keep overall engine height to a minimum.
- Electric starting system features solenoid-activated autodecompressor for easy, dependable starting.
- Two-into-two exhaust system features beefy, staggered shotgun dual pipes putting out a soulful V-twin exhaust tune.
- Solid-mounted engine housed in specially designed rigid-look, double-cradle frame features a stylish 32-degree rake.
- Extra-long 66.5-inch wheelbase creates long and low retro profile, added rider comfort for a great ride.
- Telescopic 43mm front forks with stainless-steel covers and 5.5 inches of travel stylishly smooth out the bumps.
- Out-of-sight link-type, preload-adjustable rear shock provides 4.3 inches of wheel travel for great handling and a plush ride.
- 16-inch cast wheels shod with tubeless tires for a classic look while providing confidence-inspiring handling and excellent grip.
- Dual 298mm front disc brakes feature four-piston calipers with aluminum pistons and sintered brake pads for strong, linear stopping power, backed up by a 320mm single rear disc.
- Lightweight and high-strength final drive belt provides long life and quiet operation.
- Industry-leading Star family fit and finish mean lustrous paint and extensive chrome accents that create a machine as stunning as it is powerful.
- Ultra-thin, tank-mounted speedometer features a stylish design and provides easy reading of odometer, dual tripmeters, clock and fuel gauge as well as low fuel, high beam, turn signal, neutral and engine diagnostic indicator lights.
- LED taillight and clear turn signal lenses with amber bulbs for a custom look, great visibility and reduced current draw.
- Full-size floating-type rider floorboards with replaceable wear pad are roomy and comfortable.
- A two-piece heel/toe shifter and braided stainless clutch and throttle cables add even more comfort and style.
- 4.8-gallon fuel tank with low-fuel warning light means exceptional cruising range.
- Seat and fork locks both integrated into main ignition switch for extra convenience.
- Handy underseat helmet holder.
- Powerful 12V 60/55-watt halogen headlight maximizes nighttime visibility and comes with beautiful chrome finish.
- 12V 12-amp-hour maintenance-free battery provides fuss-free, dependable starting.
- Stainless steel braided throttle and clutch cables.
2012 Star Road Star S Specs:
- Type: 102-cubic-inch (1670cc) air-cooled 48° V-twin; pushrod OHV, 4 valves/cylinder
- Bore x Stroke: 97mm x 113mm
- Compression Ratio: 8.3:1
- Fuel Delivery: Fuel injection
- Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: 5-speed, wide-ratio; multiplate wet clutch
- Final Drive: Belt
- Frame: Steel; hidden shock
- Suspension / Front: 43mm fork; 5.5-in travel
- Suspension / Rear: Single shock; 4.3-in travel
- Brakes / Front: Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm
- Brakes / Rear: Hydraulic disc, 320mm
- Tires / Front: 130/90-16
- Tires / Rear: 150/80-16
- Wheels: 9-spoke cast
- Length: 98.40 in
- Width: 38.6 in
- Height: 44.9 in
- Seat Height: 27.9 in
- Wheelbase: 66.5 in
- Ground Clearance: 5.7 in
- Fuel Capacity: 4.8 gal
- Fuel Economy: 36 mpg
- Wet Weight: 743 lbs.
- Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
2012 Star Road Star S Color Option/MSRP:
- Raven / $13,490
Availability: 49 States November/California March 2012