Spoiler Alert: 2011 RedBud AMA Motocross Results Below
The 2011 AMA Motocross Championship hit the halfway point Saturday evening in Buchanan, Mich., for the Rockstar Energy RedBud National.
And the winner was no surprise.
For the fourth time this season, Two-Two Motorsports/Bel-Ray Racing Honda’s Chad Reed took the overall Red Bud Motocross win with a 1-3 moto finish. Also there was no surprise who took the second- and third-place finishes – Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s Ryan Dungey (2-2) and Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto (9-1).
In the first moto, it started with a battle up front with Muscle Milk/Toyota/JGR Yamaha’s Davi Millsaps in the lead. Close behind were Reed and Dungey. On Lap 7, Reed took the lead from Millsaps, with Dungey in tow. Reed and Dungey would battle, but the Australian rode strong, beating Dungey to the RedBud Motocross line.
Taking the final podium in Moto 1 was Millsaps. As for Villopoto, he crashed, but was able to restart the race, finishing ninth.
In Moto 2, Villopoto redeemed his moto-1 crash, taking the early lead. He would eventually pull away from the field, followed to the checkered flag by Dungey and Reed.
Chad Reed (Two-Two Motorsports Honda CRF450R Motocross) says: "I got a good start (in Moto 2) and got into third. Dungey made some mistakes and I tried to get by, but then I made mistakes and Alessi passed me.
"At that point I knew I had to just settle down and be smart. I actually learned a lot today. I got my butt kicked last week, and we worked on suspension. Each time I went out on the track today, it was different. I learned a lot about my bike, and a lot about myself as a person about the decisions I need to make on race days."
Ryan Dungey (Rockstar Makita Suzuki RMZ450 Motocross) says: "I felt good today. It was just a little unfortunate. I wanted to run in contention with Villopoto, but I wasn’t making it happen. Now we’ve got a week to work on things and get better. We’ll just keep plugging away. At this point, points are valuable. We’re halfway now. I can’t get stuck behind like that. I need to get up and go."
Reed now holds a 16-point lead over Villopoto, with Dungey in third, 22 points behind.
The AMA Motocross Championship heads to Millville, Minn., Saturday for the Spring Creek Motocross National.
2011 AMA Motocross: RedBud Results
- Chad Reed, Kurri Kurri, Australia, Honda (1-3)
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki (2-2)
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki (9-1)
- Brett Metcalfe, Mannum, Australia, Suzuki (4-5)
- Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM (8-4)
- Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha (5-7)
- Andrew Short, Colorado Springs, Colo., KTM (6-8)
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha (3-13)
- Kevin Windham, Baton Rouge, La., Honda (12-6)
- Christian Craig, El Cajon, Calif., Honda (10-10)
2011 AMA Motocross 450 Class Championship Standings (after 6 of 12 rounds)
- Chad Reed, Kurri Kurri, Australia, Honda – 268
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 252
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki – 246
- Brett Metcalfe, Mannum, Australia, Suzuki – 178
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 173
- Kevin Windham, Baton Rouge, La., Honda – 172
- Andrew Short, Colorado Springs, Colo., KTM – 130
- Christian Craig, El Cajon, Calif., Honda – 119
- Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM – 115
- Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 112