2011 Thunder Valley Motocross Results
2011 AMA 450 Motocross
Spoiler Alert: 2011 Thunder Valley AMA Motocross 450 Results Below
For the first time in the 2011 AMA Motocross Championship, a rider other than Two-Two Motorsports Chad Reed or Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto took the overall win.
At Round 5 of the AMA MX Championship in Thunder Valley, Colo., the reigning champion in the outdoor series grabbed his first overall Motocross win with a 2-1 moto finish – Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s Ryan Dungey.
But it was no surprise who was second and third overall at Thunder Valley Motocross; Villopoto took the second spot with a 1-2 moto, and Reed third with a 3-3 moto finish.
Ryan Dungey (Rockstar Makita Suzuki RMZ450 Motocross) says: “It was good to come away with a win. We’ve been looking for one for a while this season. I never felt like anything was missing, we just needed to put it together. I try to go out and give it my all every weekend. It’s not a matter of aggression. You need to be there in the beginning, or the guys will get away from you.”
In Moto1 at Thunder Valley, Villopoto simply dominated, winning by a huge margin over Dungey and Reed, respectively. In Moto2, Reed took the holeshot, battling with Dungey for the first three laps. But Dungey’s Suzuki overpowered Reed’s Honda, giving Dungey the lead. A lap later, Villopoto took second from Reed, and they would finish in that order.
Although it was a tie moto-finish for Dungey and Villopoto, the reigning Motocross Champion gets the overall win due to winning the second moto.
Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX450F Motocross) says: “The track was tough. But that was the best second moto I’ve had all year. Ryan (Dungey) was riding well. He was strong on one side of the track and I was faster on the other. We played cat and mouse, but he gained some time on me at the end.”
Chad Reed (Two-Two Motorsports Honda CRF450R) says: “I was the third best guy. I’m happy to be honest. This is a tough track for me and I just felt a little off today. I think you learn more on your off days when you get beat. And that’s what happened today. We need to make some improvements, and I think I know where we need to make those.”
2011 Thunder Vallley AMA Motocross: 450 Class Results (Moto Finishes)
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki (2-1)
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki (1-2)
3. Chad Reed, Kurri Kurri, Australia, Honda (3-3)
4. Kevin Windham, Baton Rouge, La., Honda (4-4)
5. Andrew Short, Colorado Springs, Colo., KTM (7-8)
6. Tommy Hahn, Great Bend, Kan., Yamaha (11-5)
7. Brett Metcalfe, Mannum, Australia, Suzuki (9-7)
8. Christian Craig, El Cajon, Calif., Honda (6-15)
9. Jake Canada, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki (10-13)
10. Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha (14-10)
2011 AMA Supercross 450 Class Championship Standings (after five of 12 rounds)
1. Chad Reed, Kurri Kurri, Australia, Honda – 223
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 215
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki – 202
4. Kevin Windham, Baton Rouge, La., Honda – 148
5. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 145
6. Brett Metcalfe, Mannum, Australia, Suzuki – 144
7. Ricky Dietrich, Snohomish, Wash., Yamaha – 109
8. Andrew Short, Colorado Springs, Colo., KTM – 102
9. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 100
10. Christian Craig, El Cajon, Calif., Honda – 97