Council Bluffs AMA Arenacross: Results
It was a night of celebration for House of Kawasaki's Chad Cook, of Oklahoma City, Okla., Chad Cook on Saturday evening.
After grabbing a win during the first night of action from the Mid-America Center, Cook compiled a weekend sweep with another strong performance, claiming the Arenacross Lites Western Regional Championship in the process.
In Arenacross class action, Babbitt's Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki presented by Maxxis rider Tyler Bowers, of Danville, Ky., kept the ball rolling with his eighth consecutive victory and weekend sweep in Council Bluffs.
It couldn't have been a more perfect weekend for Cook, who has led the Arenacross Lites Western Regional Championship for most of the season. It was the kind of weekend that a rider could only dream about when winning a title. While many of his closest competitors experienced trouble, Cook stayed consistent a brought home a pair of impressive wins and, more importantly, a coveted number one plate.
On Saturday, Cook patiently awaited his opportunity, following early leader Tanner Moore, of Auburn, Kan., before a mistake allowed Cook to overtake his closest competitor in the championship and put himself in a position to win on Lap 7. The Kawasaki rider carried the lead to the finish with Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/HondaofFairfield.com's Patrick Massie, of Washington Court, Ohio, in second and Airide Kawasaki's Jake Locks, of Dixon, Calif., in third.
Cook now boasts a class-leading four wins with the championship wrapped up and one round remaining.
Just one night after fighting for the win with a dramatic last-lap pass, Bowers didn't conduct such dramatics on the second night of action. Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/HondaofFairfield.com's Nathan Skaggs, of Chillicothe, Ohio, grabbed the holeshot to start the Arenacross class main event with MMCR/GPF Suzuki's Dano Aulseybrook, of Ortonville, Mich., and Bowers in tow. After making quick work of Aulseybrook, Bowers positioned himself behind Skaggs, waiting several laps before making the winning pass on Lap 5.
Once out front, Bowers gradually moved away from the field. Behind him, both of Bowers' closest championship rivals in TUF Honda's Jeff Gibson, of Blacklick, Ohio, and Babbitt's Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki's Chad Johnson, of Rhinelander, Wis., worked their way through the field after starting outside the top five.
Bowers ultimately took his ninth checkered flag of the season over five seconds ahead of Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/HondaofFairfield.com's Zach Ames, of Prospect, Ohio, who fended of Gibson for the runner-up spot. Johnson followed in fourth.
The win by Bowers ties him for the series-leading mark he set last season with nine victories. His advantage in the standings now sits at 46 points.
The AMA Arenacross Series continues next weekend from Verizon Arena in Little Rock, Ark. The action commences on Saturday, March 26 at 7 p.m. CT.
Arenacross Class Results (Council Bluffs, Iowa)
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
- Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Yamaha
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha
- Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, Honda
- Dano Aulseybrook, Ortonville, Mich., Suzuki
- Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatlong, N.J., Suzuki
AMA Arenacross Lites Class Results (Council Bluffs, Iowa)
- Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki
- Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda
- Jake Locks, Dixon, Calif., Kawasaki
- Michael Lang, Saugerties, N.Y., Honda
- Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM
- Scott Zont, Algonquin, Ill., Honda
- Kenneth Henry, Ashtabula, Ohio, KTM
- Aviery Hickey, Decatur, Texas, Kawasaki
- Travis Smith, Lancaster, Calif., Yamaha
- Tanner Young, Marland, Okla., Yamaha
Arenacross Class Points (After Race 15 of 19)
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki – 352
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda – 306
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 298
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda – 239
- Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki – 224
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 207
- Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Yamaha – 207
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha – 179
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 166
- Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, Honda – 154
Western Regional Arenacross Lites Class Points (After Race 9 of 10)
- Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki – 188
- Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM – 133
- Aviery Hickey, Decatur, Texas, Kawasaki – 124
- Travis Smith, Lancaster, Calif., Yamaha – 121
- Tanner Young, Marland, Okla., Yamaha – 98
- Jeremy Huddleston, Eustace, Texas, KTM – 89
- Tiger Lacey, Spring Creek, Nev., Kawasaki – 75
- Noa Quinabo, Riverside, Calif., Suzuki – 62
- Bobby Fitch, Littleton, Colo., Honda – 44
- Ricky Yorks, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 42