Atlanta SX Lites
Pro Circuit’s Dean Wilson on his 2011 Kawasaki KX25F captured his first career Supercross Lites victory, in only the second race of the Eastern Regional SX Lites program.
At the start of the Monster Energy Supercross Lites class main event, Geico’s Blake Wharton, on his 2011 Honda CRF250R, found himself first to the line for the holeshot with his teammate Justin Barcia and Eleventen Mods’ Alex Martin, also on a Honda, in tow.
Wharton quickly opened up a gap over the SX Lites field while a stellar battle for second ensued behind him. On Lap 11, Wharton appeared to be en route to his second career win, but fell, giving the lead to Wilson and eventually remounting in fourth.
For the final four laps, Wilson held onto the top spot while Barcia and Pro Circuit’s Blake Baggett, now on the Kawasaki KX 250 F for the ’11 season, completed the podium.
Dean Wilson (Kawasaki KX250F) says: "It (was) hard to pass out there," comments the Menifee resident who moved into a tie atop the standings. "I’ve been trying so hard and I’m so happy to get this win. It’s kind of like a monkey off my back. Last year I wasn’t able to get a win so I’m just so happy. Getting my first supercross win is a dream."
2011 East Supercross Lites: Atlanta Results
1. Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki
2. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
3. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki
4. Blake Wharton, Aubrey, Texas, Honda
5. Ryan Sipes, Ekron, Ky., Yamaha
6. Hunter Hewitt, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki
7. P.J. Larsen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
8. Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki
9. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki
10. Matt Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Kawasaki
2011 Eastern Supercross Lites Point Standings (Atlanta)
1. Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki – 47
2. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda – 47
3. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki – 40
4. Ryan Sipes, Ekron, Ky., Yamaha – 34
5. Blake Wharton, Aubrey, Texas, Honda – 33
6. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki – 26
7. Lance Vincent, Youngsville, La., Honda – 23
8. Matt Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Kawasaki – 23
9. Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki – 20
10. Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda – 20
The 2011 AMA Eastern Supercross Lites action continues next weekend from Daytona International Speedway in Florida during the action packed week-long Daytona Bike Week.