Canard Talks Houston Supercross Win
AMA Supercross Video
For the first time of 2011 AMA Supercross, a rider other than James Stewart (San Manuel Yamaha) or Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki) was victorious.
The man taking the win at Reliant Stadium in Houston, Texas, for Round 6 of the AMA Supercross Series was Trey Canard aboard the Honda CRF450R.
The Houston SX win was also Canard’s first-ever win in the premier class. This YouTube video shows Canard’s excitement after taking the win at Reliant Stadium.
Canard was joined on the podium Saturday evening for Round 6 by reigning Supercross Champion Ryan Dungey (Rockstar Makita Suzuki) and Villopoto.
Trey Canard (2011 Honda CRF 450 R) says: "I don’t know what to say. It was an awesome race. I just tried to hang in there, because it was a tricky track. I made a mistake and (Ryan) Dungey gained a lot of time on me and from there I was just riding defensive. We had a bit of a rough week this week, but this makes it all better."
Going into Houston, Stewart was leading the championship. But due to a 15th-place finish after crashing, Stewart lost the lead to Villopoto, who leads by nine points. Canard sits in third with 112 points.
2011 Supercross Results: Houston, Texas:
1. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
3. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
4. Davi Millsaps, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
5. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
6. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda
7. Ken Roczen, Germany, KTM
8. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
9. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
10. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM
2011 Supercross Points Standings (after Round 6)
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 132
2. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 123
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda – 112
4. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda – 105
5. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki – 101
6. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM – 80
7. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 80
8. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C, Yamaha – 65
9. Davi Millsaps, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha – 62
10. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 61
The 2011 Monster Energy AMA Supercross season continues next weekend with the final race in Southern California from San Diego’s Qualcomm Stadium.