2011 Dakar Motorcycles: Stage 8 | Video
2011 Dakar Rally Video
Stage 8 at the 2011 Dakar Rally tested the motorcycle riders’ abilities as they pummeled through desert from Antofagasta to Copiapo, 268 km of road, 508 km of timed special.
Taking the stage win was KTM 450 Rally rider Mar Coma; the win was the Spaniard’s third so far in the Dakar 2011.
He was followed to the line 1:55 seconds later by KTM rider Cyril Despres of Andorra, and Sunday’s Stage 7 winner, Francisco "Chaleco" Lopes of Chile.
These three are also well ahead of the motorcycle field in the overall standings at Dakar 2011; Coma leads, Despres is 9:19 seconds behind, and Lopez trails Coma by 22:48 seconds.
During Stage 9 on Tuesday, the Dakar riders will travel the desert from Copiapo back to Copiapo through a 35-km link, and then 235 km of timed special.
2011 Dakar Stage 8 Results
1. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM 6:05:02
2. Cyril Despres, Andorra, KTM, at 1:55
3. Francisco (Chaleco) Lopez, Chile, Aprilia, 4:21
4. Helder Rodrigues, Portugal, Yamaha, at 8:38
5. Pal Anders Ullevalseter, Norway, KTM, 25:03
2011 Dakar Standings after Stage 8
1. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM
2. Cyril Despres, Andorra, KTM, at 9:19
3. Francisco (Chaleco) Lopez, Chile, Aprilia, 22:48
4. Helder Rodrigues, Portugal, Yamaha, at 41:42
5. Ruben Faria, Portugal, KTM at 1:09:59