2011 Dakar Video
Here are some highlights of Stage 2 in the 2011 Dakar Rally in Argentina. During this stage shown here in an official YouTube video, Cyril Despres continued his dominance aboard the KTM 450 Rally.
Despres, of Andorra, led fellow KTM rider Marc Coma by 2 minutes and 35 seconds in the general standings. This was the second win for Despres; he also received victory for Stage 1 after his co-rider, Ruben Faria, received a penalty for speeding.
Third fastest after Stage 2 was Despres’ co-rider, Ruben Faria. Overall, the Portugal rider is 6:13 seconds behind in the overall 2011 Dakar Rally.
Taking fourth at Dakar was David Casteu on his Sherco motorcycle. Casteu wasn’t quick in Stage 1, but was the quickest pursuer of the KTM motorcycles during Stage 2.
Trailing the leading duo by 3:46 seconds, Casteu climbed up to sixth position in the general standings, but remains behind Francisco "Chaleco" Lopez on the Aprilia RXV 450 Tuareg and Paulo Goncalves on the BMW G450 RR.
2011 Dakar Stage 2 Results
1. Cyril Despres, Andorra, KTM 03:19.11
2. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM, at 1.49
3. David Casteu, France, Sherco at 3.46
4. Francisco Lopez, Chile, Aprilia, 4.06
5. Ruben Faria, Portugal, KTM, at 5.42
2011 Dakar Overall Standings After Stage 2
1. Cyril Despres, Andorra, KTM 05:17.42
2. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM, at 2.35
3. Ruben Faria, Portugal, KTM, at 6.13 (Penalty 00:01.00)
4. Francisco Lopez, Chile, Aprilia, at 6.51
5. Paolo Goncalves, Portugal BMW, 9.28