2011 Dakar Video
Stage One of the 2011 Dakar Rally in Argentina wrapped up on Sunday with reigning title holder Cyril Despres of Andorra taking first overall on the KTM 450 Rally for the motorcycle field. Depres’ teammate, Ruben Faria, of Portugal, initially took first, but a last-minute penalty for speeding dropped him to second overall.
This Dakar stage, which is the first of 13, is highlighted in this official Dakar YouTube video. During this stage, the riders set out from Victoria and traveled 758 kilometers, with 192 of those officially timed.
As for motorcycles at the Dakar Rally 2011, Faria, followed Depres to the Dakar Stage One line. Taking the third and fourth spots were two KTM riders from Spain, Marc Coma and his co-rider Juan Pedrero.
Rounding out the top five was Paolo Goncalves, of Portugal, on a BMW.
On Monday, the motorcycle Dakar riders will begin Stage Two, which will bring new challenges to the four KTM factory Dakar riders, who have another early start with Ruben Faria charged for opening the track.
Stage Two takes them from Cordoba north to San Miguel de Tucuman over 440 km of road and a special of 300km. The motorcycle Dakar 2011 riders will enter forested areas and encounter a track that organizers say will offer plenty of jumps.
2011 Dakar Motorcycles | Stage 1 Results:
1. Cyril Despres, Andorra, KTM
2. Ruben Faria, Portugal, KTM
3. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM, 00:01.15
4. Juan Pedrero, Spain, KTM, 00:02:13
5. Paolo Goncalves, Portugal BMW, 00:02.18
6. Jonah Street, USA, Yamaha, 00:03.07
7. Francisco Lopez, Chile, Aprilia, 00:03.14
8. Jose Rodrigues, Brazil, BMW, 00:03.23
9. Jordi Viladoms, Spain, Yamaha, 00:04.11
10. Frans Verhoeven, Netherlands, 00:04.23