2011 BMW R 1200 R (Classic) | Preview
2011 BMW Motorcycles
With the new 2011 BMW R 1200 R and R 1200 R Classic, BMW Motorrad is continuing its long tradition of roadster building and presents the revised successor motorcycle models to the previous R 1200 R.
Both new 2011 motorcycles combine a modern sporty and accentuated classical motorcycle design, once again with considerably greater quality and riding dynamics.
Generating more torque, the new BMW R 1200 R boxer engine provides an extra boost in most all conditions but is most noticeable on top.
Derived from the BMW HP2 Sport, their new boxer with 1170 cc and DOHC valve gear corresponds to the engines already installed in the BMW R 1200 GS and BMW R 1200 RT.
The BMW R 1200 R emphasizes the sporty all round character with new cast light alloy wheels, the R 1200 R Classic presents wire spoke wheels for a deliberate touch of refined nostalgia.
The R Classic pays homage to the classic roadsters with metallic sapphire black paintwork in conjunction with a center stripe in plain alpine white extending over the tank and front wheel cover.
The basic version of the R1200R is available in mat metallic smoky grey, metallic light grey, or metallic red apple: three color schemes representing a dynamic, elegant, and modern interpretation of the roadster.
The Classic, on the other hand, deliberately goes for a refined contrast and emphasizes components like the Telelever, drivetrain, cylinder head covers, frame, and fork with silver.
Their classical, refined quality also finds expression in the completely chromium-plated exhaust system and the mirrors with a chromium look, whereas the basic version provides a sporty touch in the form of a rear silencer in brushed stainless steel and black rearview mirrors.
For both motorcycles, maximized rigidity and strength is provided by two part main/rear frame, which has a weight-saving structure of steel tubing is designed with the engine as a load-bearing element for maximum stiffness and rigidity.
The front suspension of the new BMW motorcycle trusts in the BMW Telelever in conjunction with a new fork structure.
Its high quality, technical grace and the enlarged diameter of the standpipe (from 35 to 41 mm) contribute decisively to shaping the face of the new R 1200 R. The rear motorcycle suspension is comprised of a single arm with BMW Paralever.
Both motorcycles can be fitted optionally with electronic suspension adjustment ESA. This serves to vary the spring base and the suspension’s pressure and rebound stages at the rear wheel, and the suspension’s rebound stage at the front wheel, a system that has established itself as the solution for optimized road handling and comfort.
Motorcycle safety is enhanced by the established and proven brake system, which can be fitted in the factory with the optional BMW Motorrad integral ABS (in the partially integral version) and automatic stability control ASC.
BMW Motorrad has also developed extensive ranges of optional equipment and motorcycle accessories.
The following presents an overview of the essential features of the new BMW motorcycles:
- Clear differentiation between the R1200R and R1200R Classic in the form of characteristic color concepts and equipment features.
- New dynamic drive, now with double overhead camshafts in each cylinder.
- Maximum torque raised to 119 Nm at 6000 rpm, and rated power raised to 81 kW (110 hp) at 7750 rpm.
- Maximum engine speed now raised from 8000 to 8500 rpm for an even wider utilizable speed range.
- Perceptible improvements to torque values for even greater roadster pleasure on country roads.
- Spontaneous response with optimized control-ability and clearly improved load-alteration effects.
- Cylinder-head covers now with two instead of the previous four mounting bolts and a new, dynamic styling.
- Shorter, sportier rear silencer in brushed (Standard) or chromium-plated
(Classic) stainless steel.
- Electronically controlled exhaust flap for a superior powerful sound.
- Cast light alloy wheels (R 1200 R).
- Wire spoke wheels with light alloy flat collar rims (Classic).
- ESA (electronic suspension adjustment) (optional factory fit).
- BMW Motorrad integral ABS in the partially integral version (optional factory fit).
- Automatic stability control ASC (optional factory fit).
- Redesigned cockpit with two round analogue instruments.
- New hydraulic reservoirs with a smoked glass look.
- Extensive range of optional equipment and tailored accessories at the familiarly high BMW standards.