Suzuki: 1960-2010 Motocross Winners
Suzuki is celebrating its incredible heritage of Motocross and Supercross Champions as 2010 marks its 50th year of international motorcycle racing.
From Mitsuo Ito’s Championship 50cc TT win to Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s current historical year with Ryan Dungey capturing both the AMA/FIM Supercross title and the Lucas Oil Motocross Championship, Suzuki has had a legacy of champions.
With all the Motocross and Supercross Championships plus Trans-AMA, Trans-USA, Inter-AMA Championships combined, it is without a doubt that many Champions ride Suzuki.
To mark this achievement, American Suzuki has released a limited-edition commemorative Motocross/Supercross cloth sticker at last weekend’s motocross round at Steel City Raceway in Delmont, Pennsylvania.
This sticker is the fourth in a series of Commemorative stickers – a gold 50th anniversary sticker, a road racing and an ATV racing sticker have already been released.
The commemorative sticker features Roger DeCoster in 1974 on his Trans-AMA Championship winning Suzuki RN370 and Ryan Dungey on his Suzuki RM-Z450 celebrating his back-to-back Supercross and Motocross Championships.
These special stickers were handed out during the autograph session on Saturday at Steel City Raceway.
Highlights of Suzuki’s Motocross/Supercross Championships:
- Sylvain Geboers 1971 AMA Trans-AMA Champion
- Roger DeCoster 1974 – 77 AMA Trans-AMA/Trans-USA
- Tony DiStefano 1975 – 77 AMA 250 MX National Champion
- Tony DiStefano 1975 AMA Inter-AMA Champion
- Danny LaPorte 1979 AMA 500 MX National Champion
- Kent Howerton 1979 – 80 AMA Trans-USA Champion
- Kent Howerton 1980 – 81 AMA 250 MX National Champion
- Mark Barnett 1980 – 82 AMA 125 MX National Champion
- Mark Barnett 1981 AMA 250 Supercross Champion
- Guy Cooper 1990 AMA 125 MX National Champion
- Bobby Moore 1985 AMA 125 West Coast Supercross
- Ron Tichenor 1987 AMA 125 East Coast Supercross
- Willie Surratt 1987 AMA 125 West Coast Supercross
- Todd DeHoop 1988 AMA 125 East Coast Supercross
- Denny Stephenson 1990 AMA 125 East Coast Supercross
- Brian Swink 1992 AMA 125 East Coast Supercross
- Ezra Lusk 1994 AMA 125 East Coast Supercross
- Damon Huffman 1994 -95 AMA 125 West Coast Supercross
- Tim Ferry 1997 AMA 125 East Coast Supercross
- Greg Albertyn 1999 AMA 250 MX National Champion
- Travis Pastrana 2000 AMA 125 MX National Champion
- Travis Pastrana 2001 AMA 125 East Coast Supercross
- Branden Jesseman 2003 AMA 125 East Coast Supercross
- Ricky Carmichael 2005 AMA 250 Supercross Champion
- Ricky Carmichael 2005 AMA 250 MX National Champion
- Ricky Carmichael 2006 AMA Supercross Champion
- Ricky Carmichael 2006 AMA MX National Champion
- Ryan Dungey 2009 AMA West Coast Lites Supercross
- Ryan Dungey 2009 AMA MX Lites National Champion
- Chad Reed 2009 AMA MX National Champion
- Ryan Dungey 2010 AMA Supercross Champion
- Ryan Dungey 2010 AMA MX National Champion
Suzuki Motor Corporation founded The Motorcycle/ATV Division of American Suzuki Motor Corporation (ASMC), Brea, Calif., in 1963. ASMC markets motorcycles and ATVs via an extensive dealer network throughout 49 states.
ASMC’s parent company, Suzuki Motor Corporation (SMC), based in Hamamatsu, Japan, is a diversified worldwide manufacturer of motorcycles, ATVs, scooters, automobiles and marine engines. Founded in 1909 and incorporated in 1920, it has 120 distributors in 191 countries.