AMA Motocross: Washougal Preview
Heading into Washougal Motocross Park, Round 8 of the 2010 Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship, Ryan Dungey leads the standings by 89 points, mostly due to six consecutive (moto) wins. If he keeps this victorious trend going at Washougal, Dungey could possibly capture a MX championship in his rookie year, just as he did in Supercross.
The Rockstar Makita Suzuki rider has proven himself over and over this season, and based on his performance at the track in the past, the Belle Plaine, Minn., native may just do the same this weekend at the Motosport.com Washougal Retro National. In the past two years, Dungey has swept both events while competing in the 250 Class.
At Round 7 in Millville, Minn., for the Spring Creek National, Dungey dominated his home race, sweeping both motos. The second-place point sitter Andrew Short didn’t give Dungey much of a challenge, the Honda Red Bull Racing rider finishing third in both motos. In third in the championship is Ben Townley, the Troy Lee Designs Honda rider from New Zealand. Townley is currently 6 points behind Short with 223.
The reigning 450 Class Champion Chad Reed had some troubles at Millville, not finishing the first moto and not starting the second due to an apparent neck injury. His DNF/DNS pushed him from second to sixth in the standings with 204 points.
In the 250 Class, series’ leader Christophe Pourcel had some bad finishes, allowing other riders to close in on his standings. The Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki rider has 296, followed closely by PC Kawasaki rider Dean Wilson with 264 points, and GEICO Powersports Honda’s Trey Canard in third with 252.
Washougal celebrates its 30th year hosting American motocross, and has a history of being one of the most technical tracks on scedule. During this year’s meet on Saturday, a retro-themed event will occur with 100s of vintage bikes and a few MX stars.
AMA Motocross TV Schedule:
For the first time ever, SPEED will present the U.S. with a full day of live coverage starting at 7 p.m. (EST) on Saturday. SPEED will air every moto of the entire Motosport.com Washougal Retro National.
450 Class Championship Standings (after 7 of 12 rounds)
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 318
2. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 229
3. Ben Townley, New Zealand, Honda, 223
4. Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Honda, 221
5. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha, 215
6. Chad Reed, Australia, Kawasaki, 204
7. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM, 196
8. Kyle Regal, Kemp, Texas, Honda, 157
9. Ryan Sipes, Flaherty, Texas, Yamaha, 140
10. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha, 134
250 Class Championship Standings
1. Christophe Pourcel, France, Kawasaki, 296
2. Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki, 264
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 252
4. Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki, 248
5. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha, 209
6. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 201
7. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda, 175
8. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda, 174
9. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki, 165
10. Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Yamaha, 147