Supercross race results Atlanta
Supercross Race Results Atlanta
The 2010 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Championship made its annual visit to the south and once again it was a race to remember as 69,182 fans filled Atlanta’s legendary Georgia Dome on Saturday night. Entering the evening in a dead heat atop the standings with Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s Ryan Dungey captured his third victory of 2010 to move into sole position of the top spot. In the AMA Supercross Lites Eastern Regional Championship, Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Christophe Pourcel raced to his second-consecutive win of the season.
As the gates dropped on the premier AMA Supercross class main event in Atlanta, Dungey grabbed the Spike Holeshot Award, followed by Honda Red Bull Racing’s Trey Canard and Ryan Villopoto.
Dungey quickly asserted himself up front, opening up an early gap over Canard who began a heated battle with Villopoto. Eventually, the Kawasaki rider moved his way into second and set his sights on his rival. Villopoto closed in slightly, but on lap 10 suffered a frightening get off, allowing Dungey to dominate the rest of the way.
Ryan Dungey Speaks…
"It was definitely a good win," said Dungey. "The start was key because it was a tough track to pass on. My tires hooked up great and I wouldn’t be here without my team. I won my first supercross race here so it feels good to come back and get my first big bike win (in Atlanta). We’re just trying to keep moving forward as a team and sometimes you have to go backward to go forward but things are working out so far."
Canard captured his career-best premier class finish with a runner-up result in just his second race on the bigger bike while Davi Millsaps gave Honda Red Bull Racing a 2-3 result. Villopoto came home in 19th.
As the AMA Supercross Lites class blasted out of the gates, Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Dean Wilson grabbed the Spike Holeshot Award with Pourcel and Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s Austin Stroupe in second and third, respectively.
Wilson took advantage of his first opportunity to lead as a professional, holding off his opponents for the first nine laps while an intense battle took place behind him. On lap nine, Stroupe made his move, bringing GEICO Powersports Honda’s Justin Barcia with him. Just three laps later, Stroupe’s rear wheel slid out from under him, holding up Barcia and allowing Pourcel to sneak by for the lead, which he never relinquished. Barcia would make an attempt to move past the defending champion, but fell a short time later. Stroupe would assume the runner-up spot while GEICO Powersports Honda’s Brett Metcalfe grabbed the final podium spot in third.
Christophe Pourcel Speaks… Supercross Lites Atlanta
"This was a crazy race," explained Pourcel. "They were running fast. I got a good start and just kept my pace. I was pushing real hard and stayed in (the battle). With Barcia and Stroupe in there it was tough but I ended up winning the race and I wouldn’t be able to do it without my team."
Dungey currently holds a 20-point lead over San Manuel Yamaha’s Josh Hill, of Carlsbad, Calif., in the AMA Supercross standings while Villopoto falls to third, 23 points out of first. Pourcel leads Stroupe by six points in the AMA Supercross Lites Eastern Regional Championship.
2010 AMA Supercross Race Results: Atlanta | Round 8
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
2. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
3. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
4. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
5. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
6. Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
7. Michael Byrne, Noonan, Ga., Yamaha
8. Jason Lawrence, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
9. Grant Langston, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
10. Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
2010 AMA Supercross Point Standings: Atlanta | Round 8
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 170
2. Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 150
3. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 147
4. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 134
5. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 121
6. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 115
7. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 113
8. Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 85
9. Michael Byrne, Noonan, Ga., Yamaha, 71
10. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 69
2010 Eastern AMA Supercross Lites Race Results: Atlanta | Round 8
1. Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki
2. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Suzuki
3. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
4. Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki
5. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki
6. Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Yamaha
7. Matt Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Suzuki
8. Jake Moss, Temecula, Calif., Suzuki
9. Levi Kilbarger, Logan, Ohio, Honda
10. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda
2010 Eastern Supercross Lites Point Standings: Atlanta | Round 8
1. Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki, 50
2. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Suzuki, 44
3. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 36
4. Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki, 33
5. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki, 26
6. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha, 24
7. Kyle Regal, Kemp, Texas, Yamaha, 24
8. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 23
9. Jake Moss, Temecula, Calif., Suzuki, 22
10. Nico Izzi, Albany, Ga., Yamaha, 22