When you’re thinking of an elemental motorcycle stripped down to the basics, the 2021 Harley-Davidson Iron 1200 comes immediately to mind. The rubber-mounted 1202cc Evolution V-twin motor takes center stage, with plenty of satisfying vibes delivered to the rider and more than plenty of grunt for urban and highway rides.
The mild-steel frame is basic, with suspension that does better than its meager travel numbers suggest—the cartridge-style fork and emulsion-style shocks make the most of the movement allowed them. Don’t count out the higher-profile Michelin Scorcher 31 tires, as they help smooth out the inevitable rough spots in the road around town.
The ergonomics favor a smaller rider, though the 29-inch seat height isn’t exceedingly low. The mini-apes give the rider an aggressive profiling posture, as the fists are in the wind. Mid-mount foot controls put the rider in a confident position. The solo seat helps the rider assert independence, while the headlight cowling and fork-slider covers add essential styling touches.
The base price for the 2021 Harley-Davidson Iron 1200 remains in four figures at $9999 for the Vivid Black version. Be prepared to pay another $350 for either Black Denim or Stone Washed White Pearl. ABS is a fairly pricey option at $795.
We have tested the Harley-Davidson Iron 1200.
2021 Harley-Davidson Iron 1200 Specs
- Type: Air-cooled Evolution V-twin
- Displacement: 73.4ci (1202cc)
- Bore x stroke: 3.5 x 3.8”
- Maximum torque: 73 ft-lbs @ 3500 rpm
- Compression ratio: 10:1
- Valvetrain: Pushrods, 2vpc
- Cooling: Air
- Lubrication: Dry sump
- Transmission: 5-speed
Primary drive: Chain
- Final drive: Belt
- Frame: Tubular mild steel
- Front suspension; travel: Non-adjustable 39mm cartridge-style fork; 3.6 inches
- Rear suspension; travel: Adjustable-preload variable rate spring w/ nitrogen-charged emulsion-style shocks; 1.6 inches
- Wheels: Black 9-spoke
- Front wheel: 19 x 2.15
- Rear wheel: 16 x 3.00
- Tires: Michelin Scorcher 31
- Front tire: 100/90 x 19
- Rear tire: 150/80 x 16
- Front brake: 300mm disc w/ dual-piston caliper
- Rear brake: 260mm disc w/ dual-piston caliper
- ABS: Optional ($795)
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES
- Wheelbase: 59.6 inches
- Rake: 30 degrees
- Trail: 4.6 inches
- Seat height: 28.9 inches
- Fuel capacity: 3.3 gallons
- Estimated fuel economy: 48 mpg
- Curb weight: 564 pounds
2021 Harley-Davidson Iron 1200 Colors and Prices
- Vivid Black: $9999 MSRP
- Black Denim: $10,349
- Stone Washed White Pearl: $10,349