This year’s Bonhams Spring Stafford Sale during the International Classic Motorcycle Show in the UK will feature 12 unique motorcycles on the block.
The uniqueness does not arrive from the models, but rather who owns the bikes – Richard Hammond and James May, the former presenters of the popular Top Gear show.
Both offered humorous comments regarding the sale, which is set for the Staffordshire County Showground on April 26.
“Just because I’m unemployed now doesn’t mean I have to get rid of everything,” said May. “I was going to sell these bikes anyway. And those paintings, and my collection of Scalextric cars. Honest.”
Hammond adds “As a serious collector of motorcycles, it’s important to review one’s stable regularly, and the Bonhams Stafford sale is the ideal opportunity to move bikes on and possibly acquire new ones. I also have a canoe, and some Wharfedale hi-fi speakers, if anyone’s interested.”
Following are the bikes that will go on auction at the Bonhams Spring Stafford Sale:
James May Motorcycles:
- Lot 326: 1974 Yamaha 49cc FS1-E – £2,000-2,400
- Lot 327: 1976 Suzuki AP50 E – £2,000-2,400
- Lot 328: 1980 Ossa 250cc MAR Trials Motorcycle – £1,200-1,500
- Lot 329: 1979 Suzuki TS250 – £800-1,200
- Lot 330: 1973 Honda CD175 – £1,400-1,800
- Lot 331: 1975 Honda CB200 – £1,500-1,800
- Lot 332: 1971 Kawasaki 250cc A1 Samurai – £5,000-6,000
- Lot 333: 2010 Yamaha SR400 ‘Grievous Angel’ by Deus Ex Machina – £8,000-12,000
Richard Hammond Motorcycles:
- Lot 334: 1977 Honda GL1000 Gold Wing – £4,000-6,000
- Lot 335: 2010 Norton Commando 961SE – £14,500-18,500
- Lot 336: 1970 Triton 500cc ‘Café Racer’ – £6,500-8,500
- Lot 337: 1975 Yamaha 49cc FS1-E – £2,500-3,500
Ben Walker, Bonhams International Head of Motorcycles, says: “Jokes aside, James and Richard are offering for sale some great motorcycles from their collections, including examples of Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda and Norton – and we expect the collection to attract a lot of attention at the upcoming Spring Stafford Sale. We’re delighted that they both elected to consign their collections with Bonhams Motorcycle Department, an agreement that originated many months ago.”
Viewing for the Top Gear Duo motorcycles takes place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday April 25. For further information and a full lot listing visit: www.bonhams.com/22720
Note: The images of motorcycles featuring May and Hammond are part of their current personal collections, and are not featured in Bonhams Stafford Sale. Richard Hammond is sitting on a Vincent Black Shadow, James May on a Honda RC 30.