2015 Honda Grom Preview
Hooligans united when Honda released its street-legal Grom for 2014. The tiny street bike with its SOHV two-valve 125 created an immediate need to jump curbs, do stoppies, and simply have fun.
The 2014 Honda Grom quickly developed its own following, and became a platform for many custom builds. And this tiny plaything returns in 2015 as a carryover, but with some new colors instead of just the Metallic Black and Peal Red offered in 2014.
The Grom is still available in black and red, but Honda offers two additional color options for 2015 – Yellow and Pearl White options. The new Grom also is updated with new graphics on the tank covers.
“We’re very pleased to close out our 2015 model lineup by offering the Grom in additional colors,” said Lee Edmunds, Manager of Motorcycle Marketing Communications at American Honda. “It has been exciting to see customers not only embrace this model, but make it their own, so adding new color options and a bit of flair made perfect sense. This model has spawned Grom-specific forums and clubs, and we look forward to seeing what customers do with the Grom in its second year.”
Grom, which is urban slang for a young surfer or snowboarder, targets the beginner rider, but also the experienced rider looking for something fun (think street-legal pit bike!).
The Honda Grom oozes with simplicity, arriving with a fuel-injected 124.9cc single-cylinder engine hooked to a four-speed manual transmission. The Grom’s frame is compact, featuring a low, a 29.7-inch seat height. The Grom is further simplified with 12-inch wheels, an inverted from fork and hydraulic disc brakes (single front and rear).
By far one of the smallest street legal sport motorcycles available from Honda, weighing in at a slender 225 lbs. dry, the Grom also has a passenger seat fit for an Italian supermodel.
Pricing for 2015 has not been released, but expect to pay around $2,999 – the price of the 2014 model.
2015 Honda Grom 125 Specs:
- Engine Type: 125cc air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
- Bore and Stroke: 52.4mm x 57.9mm
- Compression Ratio: 9.3:1
- Valve Train: SOHC; two valves per cylinder
- Induction: PGM-FI with automatic enrichment
- Ignition: Electric
- Transmission: Four-speed
- Final Drive: Chain
- Front Suspension: 31mm inverted fork; 3.9 inches travel
- Rear Suspension: Single shock with steel box-section swingarm; 4.1 inches travel
- Front Brake: Single 220mm disc with hydraulic dual-piston caliper
- Rear Brake: Single 190mm disc with hydraulic single-piston caliper
- Front Tire: 120/70-12
- Rear Tire: 130/70-12
- Wheelbase: 47.4 inches
- Rake: 25°
- Trail: 3.2 inches
- Seat Height: 29.7 inches
- Fuel Capacity: 1.45 gallons
- Colors: Pearl Red, Metallic Black, Yellow, Pearl White
- Curb Weight (full tank): 225 pounds