2014 Freestyle Motocross Championship Ready For Second Half
A thrilling second half of the Freestyle Motocross World Championship takes the extreme riders to three continents
The FIM Freestyle MX World Championship campaign kicked off in March at NIGHT of the JUMPS in Berlin. After the fifth round of the competition, held towards the end of March in the context of NIGHT of the JUMPS in Basel, the season recessed for its summer break.
The championship table is currently led by Spain’s Maikel Melero on 74 points, closely pursued by Libor Podmol (70 points) and Dany Torres (68 points).
Freestyle Motocross World Championship action recommences on 4th October and is set to thrill audiences on three other continents. The freestylers will first compete at Cologne in a fixture that has been timed to coincide with Europe’s biggest motorcycle trade fair, InterMOT.
Around a month later, NIGHT of the JUMPS will be contested for the third time on Chinese soil. After previous visits to Guangzhou and Beijing, the venue for 2014 is the university town of Shenzhen.
For the first time in three years, the grand finale of the FMX World Championship will not be hosted by Sofia. The Bulgarian capital will instead be welcoming the FMX riders for the eighth round of this year’s competition on 15th November.
On 6th December (St Nicholas’s Day), the FMX riders return to Namibia for a third time. Precisely ten years after the world’s most extreme FMX sports series made its debut on the African continent, it will be revisiting its old stamping ground of the Rugby Stadium in Windhoek.
The crowning of the 2014 FMX World Champion takes place in South America on 13th December, when the season comes to its climax in Brazil. In fact, this event will be staged at one of the stadiums where the FIFA World Cup has recently been held, the Estadio Castelao in Fortaleza.
2nd half NIGHT of the JUMPs Series 2014 Schedule:
- 04.10.2014 – NIGHT of the JUMPs Cologne/GER Round 6
- 01.11.2014 – NIGHT of the JUMPs Shenzhen/China Round 7
- 15.11.2014 – NIGHT of the JUMPs Sofia/BUL Round 8
- 06.12.2014 – NIGHT of the JUMPs Windhoek/NAM Round 9
- 13.12.2014 – NIGHT of the JUMPs Fortaleza/BRA Round 10
FIM Freestyle MX World Championships Ranking (after 5th contest):
1. Maikel Melero ESP RFME Yamaha 74 Points
2. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Yamaha 70 Points
3. Dany Torres ESP RFME KTM 68 Points
4. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Kawasaki 66 Points
5. Rob Adelberg AUS MA Yamaha 53 Points
6. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 46 Points
7. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 38 Points
8. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 31 Points
9. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 29 Points
10. Massimo Bianconcini ITA PZM KTM 26 Points
11. Mat Rebeaud SUI FMS KTM 20 Points
12. Luc Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 15 Points
12. Aleksey Koleshnikov RUS MFR Yamaha 13 Points
14. Marcin Luksczcyk POL PZM Yamaha 5 Points
15. Lukas Weis GER DMSB Suzuki 4 Points
16. Artur Puzio POL PZM Kawasaki 4 Points
For additional information, visit www.NIGHToftheJUMPs.com.