2014 Honda CBR 650 F First Look Review
In Europe, Honda offers the CB650F, a mid-weight naked sport bike built to deliver a balance between performance and comfort. Although the bike would likely do well in the states, and appeal to the economically challenged, Honda never offered it in America.
Then, to make CBR fans even more jealous of European motorcycle offerings, Honda debuted a new motorcycle at EICMA in Milan – the CBR650F, a full-fairing version of the naked CB650F.
Impressions were high, but based on other European-only model releases, it was highly unlikely that Honda would bring the supersport stateside. To the surprise of many, though, this changed this week when Honda reported that the CBR650F will now be offered stateside.
Versatility is the key, and the middleweight was built to offer a “terrific balance between full-on sport bike styling, nimble handling, overall performance, comfort and plenty of versatility-all at a great price.”
The tamer brother of the CBR600RR supersport, the steel-spar framed CBR650F arrives with a DOHC 649cc inline-four cylinder engine that produces 86 horsepower at 11,000 rpm. The engine was designed to offer higher torque in the low- to mid-rpm range, with much of it being delivered under 4000 rpm – a range for optimal real-world sport riding.
Honda appears to be on the trend with offering tamer sport bikes in America. First, Honda went head-to-head with the iconic Kawasaki Ninja 250, offering the 2011 CBR250R. And last year, Honda offered additional entry-level motorcycles with the CBR500R, the CB500 and the CB500X.
And now arrives the CBR650F, which, although an inline four, should rival bikes like Kawasaki’s Ninja 650 (parallel twin) and Suzuki’s SFV650 (V-twin).
The bike will be available in summer for $8499, or $8999 with ABS.
Following are the features, specs, color options and price (MSRP) for the 2014 Honda CBR650F.
2014 Honda CBR650F Features:
- 649cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder engine features a muscular torque spread through the low- to midrange portions of the powerband, especially below 4000 rpm.
- Tuned especially for strong acceleration from a standing start and strong midrange roll-on throttle response for rewarding street-riding performance.
- Cylinders are inclined at a 30-degree angle to help lower the center of gravity (CG) for more agile handling.
- Low CG, light curb weight, slim cross-section and high-set clip-on handlebars work together to provide lightweight steering feel and responsive handling.
- The frame incorporates elliptically shaped twin 64mm x 30mm steel spars for tuned flex to deliver excellent sport riding characteristics.
- Single-shock rear suspension is actuated directly by the strong yet lightweight aluminum swingarm for 5.0 inches of rear-wheel travel.
- Large 41mm fork with 4.3 inches of travel for a well-controlled yet comfortable ride.
- Wave-type brake discs lend a stylish touch while also saving unsprung weight.
- Sweeping right-side four-into-two-into-one exhaust system is both stylish and functional.
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
Honda will also offer the following accessories for the CBR650F: Tall Windscreen, Rear Carrier, Rear Trunk, Color-Matched Rear Seat Cowl, Heated Grips, Carbon-Fiber-Style Rear Tire Hugger, Carbon-Fiber Tank Pad, and Cycle Cover.
2014 Honda CBR650F Specs:
- Engine Type: 649cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder
- Bore and Stroke: 67mm x 46mm
- Compression ratio: 11.4:1
- Valve Train: DOHC; four valves per cylinder
- Induction: PGM-FI with automatic enrichment circuit, 32mm throttle bodies
- Ignition: Digital transistorized with electronic advance
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final Drive: #525 O-ring-sealed chain
- Front suspension: 41mm fork; 4.3 inches travel
- Rear suspension: Single shock with spring preload adjustability; 5.0 inches travel
- Brakes: Front – Dual two-piston calipers with 320mm discs; Rear – Single-caliper 240mm disc with ABS
- Optional Honda ABS (CBR650F ABS)
- Tires: Front – 120/70ZR-17; Rear – 180/55ZR-17
- Wheelbase: 57.0 inches
- Rake (Caster angle): 25.30°
- Trail: 101.3mm (3.98 inches)
- Seat Height: 31.9 inches
- Fuel Capacity: 4.5 gallons
- Estimated Fuel Economy**: TBD
- Curb Weight*: 461 pounds (CBR650F) / 467 pounds (CBR650F ABS)
2014 Honda CBR650F Color Options/MSRP:
- Red: $8499 / ABS $8999
- Candy Blue: $8499
- Matte Black Metallic: $8499