2014 BMW K1600GTL Exclusive Preview
BMW Motorrad’s prescence at EICMA – the famed Milan Motorcycle Show in November where all the OEMs unveil their newest motorcycles – was highlighted by the new S 1000 R naked sportbike, and the new R 1200 RT, which received the water-cooled boxer twin found in the 2013 R 1200 GS.
There was word of the 2014 BMW K 1600 GTL “Exclusive,” but the Bavarian motorcycle manufacturer wasn’t ready to reveal it.
That changed Wednesday when BMW pulled the covers off the K 1600 GTL Exclusive. This new BMW is the most luxurious tourer every offered by BMW; it’s built on the K 1600 GTL’s platform, which features the 160-horsepower inline six cylinder and the famed electronics, but adds more.
These additional features include a film antenna for the radio that is embedded in the top-case lid – a first ever for a motorcycle, a revised seats, LED daytime running lights, Hill Start Control for assistance starting on steep hills, Keyless Ride – a first for BMW motorcycles, and loads of aesthetic enhancements, including a four-coat paint job.
Every thing else is typical of the K 1600 GTL, including central locking with anti-theft alarm system, ESA II electronic suspension adjustment for an optimum spring/damper setup regardless of load, Dynamic Traction Control (DTC), standard ABS
The 2014 BMW K 1600 GLT Exclusive also features standard equipment such LED auxiliary headlights, adaptive xenon headlight, Tire Pressure Monitor, additional brake light, engine protection bar, and floor lighting.
Aesthetic enhancements include aluminum molding on the fuel tank, chrome exhaust, revamped instrumentation, and the four-coat paint finish in Mineral white metallic high gloss that contrasts the shade of Magnesium metallic matt and the Glacier silver metallic radiator fins. The BMW K 1600 GTL also features color-coordinated upholstery on the seat cushions, backrest and pillion passenger armrests.
Following are the highlights of the 2014 BMW K 1600 GTL Exclusive:
- Superior in-line six-cylinder engine with abundant pulling power, especially at low and medium revs.
- Output of 118 kW (160 hp) at 7,750 rpm and maximum torque of 175 Nm (129 lb-ft) at 5,250 rpm.
- Over 70 percent of maximum torque on tap from just 1,500 rpm.
- Three selectable riding modes (“Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic”).
- High standard of active safety thanks to BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part integral).
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) to maximise safety when accelerating.
- Chassis featuring duolever and paralever suspension plus ideal concentration of mass for dynamic handling abilities combined with the best possible comfort.
- Electronic Suspension Adjustment II (ESA II) for optimum adaptation to all operating requirements and vehicle loads.
- New instrumentation scales and sophisticated chrome surfaces. (New!)
- Instrument cluster with extended functionality. (New!)
- Larger seat area, armrests and new heated backrest to offer pillion passengers the best possible comfort. (New!)
- Liners for cases and topcase (embroidered).
- Keyless Ride and central locking to maximise ease of use and security. (New!)
- Hill Start Control enabling pulling away uphill with ease and comfort. (New!)
- Integral film antenna for optimum radio reception and exclusive styling. (World first!)
- Adaptive xenon headlight for greater safety on night-time rides.
- LED daytime running light. (New!)
- LED auxiliary headlights.
- Floor lighting.
- Audio system with preparation for navigation device and controllable interface for iPod, MP3, USB, Bluetooth and satellite radio (satellite radio only available in USA and Canada).
- Innovative design offering outstanding wind and weather protection.
- Elaborate, exceptionally high-grade four-coat paint finish. (New!)
- Extensive equipment and bespoke accessories made to BMW Motorrad’s customary high standards.