• Home »
  • MotoGP »
  • Motegi MotoGP | Friday Practice Canceled Due to Typhoon Francisco

Motegi MotoGP | Friday Practice Canceled Due to Typhoon Francisco

  • Motegi MotoGP | Friday Practice Canceled Due to Typhoon Francisco Rain washes out Friday practice at Motegi MotoGP
  • Motegi MotoGP | Friday Practice Canceled Due to Typhoon Francisco Race Direction discussing contingency plans at Motegi
  • Motegi MotoGP | Friday Practice Canceled Due to Typhoon Francisco Yamaha Factory Racing's Valentino Rossi signing autographs
  • Motegi MotoGP | Friday Practice Canceled Due to Typhoon Francisco Red Bull KTM's Luis Salom greeting fans

2013 Motegi MotoGP Friday Practice Results

Due to Typhoon Francisco bringing rain and heavy winds to Japan, Race Direction canceled Friday’s MotoGP practice sessions at the Twin Ring Motegi circuit.

In the downtime, Race Direction discussed a series of contingency plans to ensure MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 are able to compete at the AirAsia Grand Prix of Japan. Riders like Valentino Rossi (Yamaha Factory Racing) and Luis Salom (Red Bull KTM Moto3) also greeted fans and signed autographs.

When the riders awoke Friday morning, a heavy cloud had covered the Motegi circuit, meaning helicopters could not operate.    Without operable helicopters, the action can’t go on; helicopters are needed to take out injured riders.

Mike Webb (MotoGP Race Direcotr) says: “We are not prepared to run in these conditions when there is a risk that a seriously injured rider could not be given correct care. The reason no helicopter is here is that, with the low cloud, there is a lack of visibility in which it is not safe to fly. The helicopter has been trying to get permission to fly to the circuit since Thursday and has even tried to take off and then been told to land again.

“As soon as permission was granted that it could be taken off, we would have given ten minutes’ notice to the teams, but the helicopter was never given permission to fly.”

Heavy rain from Typhoon Francisco is excepted Saturday morning, but Race Direction hopes it subsides by the afternoon, which will allow the helicopter to operate.

MotoGP says: “Currently situated five minutes’ flying time from the circuit, should cloud cover in its current location remain too much, the helicopter will be dissembled, transported to the racetrack by road and then reassembled. Two medical helicopters must be available at the circuit at all times, and on Friday time has been spent analyzing the best possible locations for their positioning around the circuit, in order to avoid the need of taking off or landing amidst any further heavy cloud cover at the circuit, which is situated on high ground.”

So with rain on the horizon, Race Direction developed contingency plans to provide each class optimal time on the track on Saturday and Sunday. If the weather remains inclement, practices and qualifying will be condensed. As for Sunday, the forecast is supposed to be significantly better.

Mike Webb says: “The length of sessions depends on the weather.  have written up draft schedules for all possibilities tomorrow, including starting in the afternoon after rain in the morning which could ease at around two o’clock.

“It depends around what time the weather conditions will allow us to run. We will give as much track time as possible to all classes. Nothing is fixed because it depends on the weather, but I’m aiming at 75 minutes for MotoGP™ and perhaps a little shorter for other classes. Taking into account the shortage of daylight at the end of the day, we will just run for as long as possible.

“We also have a draft schedule for Sunday; we have prepared a possible plan, in case we don’t have any practice tomorrow, which would be 40 minutes for each qualifying session. Also, teams have proposed that perhaps they would like a single, longer practice session rather than two. We need to discuss this with the riders as well, to make sure they agree with these possibilities”.

“The original weather forecast when we arrived here on Tuesday and Wednesday was that the nearby typhoon would be quite close with very strong winds, so we made a plan that tents (housing several of the teams in the paddock) would be disassembled and those teams moved into solid accommodation.

“Every day those forecasts have got better, so we have been able to leave those teams in place. However, in place of those strong winds we have had low cloud cover, which has been a lot worse (disrupting track action). We are still expecting heavy rain tomorrow morning, but rain does not stop the helicopter from flying – that all depends on the visibility.”

Apart from the cancellation, official MotoGP™ tyre supplier Bridgestone called a press conference at mid-day to discuss the events of the Phillip Island race, which was run with mandatory pit stops, as tire-life could not be guaranteed for more than 10 laps on the newly resurfaced surface. Hiroshi Yamada, Manager of the Bridgestone Motorsport Department, told the assembled press that despite the company having brought the extra-hard compound to deal with the new track surface, it was caught out in particular by the bikes having a higher average corner speed by 12km/h over last year due to the higher grip levels – something not anticipated in its calculations, MotoGP reports.

He went on to say that the company would be carrying out a test at Phillip Island next year, preferably with prototype machines and their riders, to ensure the safety and longevity of its tires for the 2014 race. No date or approximate timing has been given for this event, MotoGP reports.

Other articles you will enjoy: