2014 Husqvarna FC 450 Preview
Back in 1966, Edison Dye, considered by many to be the father of motocross in the United States, approached Husqvarna, wanting to sell the Husky brand in America.
With a few Husqvarnas in hand, Dye approached Malcolm Smith, asking the Canadian who was then a known racer of the Matchless brand. Smith immediately fell for the Husky, and that weekend went on to win a desert race by over 22 minutes.
Malcolm soon became one the biggest names associated the Husqvarna, as did Dye, who went from a seller of Husqvarna motorcycles to racers to an importer of the Swedish brand.
The company went through its ups and downs throughout the years, but is now under the ownership of KTM AG, and reunited with the Husaberg brand (also under KTM AG ownership), something that hasn’t happened in 25 years.*
And this week, Husqvarna unveiled its entire 2014 motocross and endure lineup, including the FC (four-stroke cross) models. For 2014, Husky has released at FC 250 and the most powerful one of the group, the FC 450.
The FC 450, like each bike offered in the 2014 Husqvarna lineup, arrives with the polyamide rear subframe. Husky says “uniquely housing the airbox and electronics of each model, the high-tech composite construction of the polyamide subframe is designed to offer optimum rigidity while also allowing more flex than a traditional aluminum structure. The unique three-piece fiberglass-reinforced subframe also provides an ideal grab handle, and gives the bike greater impact resistance (polyamide will bend back into place unlike aluminum).”
The FC 450 also features other elements founds across the entire 2014 Husqvarna lineup, including an aluminum swingarm built from the single component casting process, and WP suspension.
Powering the FC 450 is a single single overhead cam engine, featuring DLC-coated rocker arms, Pankl crank and connecting rod. Like the 250, the FC 450 is equipped with a König forged box-type piston and five-speed gearbox, but the 450 utilizes Husqvarna’s innovative DDS (damped diaphragm steel) clutch. Brembo clutch hydraulics ensure smooth action and easy control of the FC 450’s exceptional power, which climbs to a breathtaking 60 hp, Husky says.
The engine comes together in streamlined, compact designs thanks to the advanced production process of the engine cases. High-pressure die-casting allows for thinner wall thickness and lower overall weight without sacrificing strength. To reduce weight even further the FCs do without the kickstart casting.
Dunlop MX51 tires, a tapered aluminum 827 Renthal Fatbar, hand guards and Brembo brakes complete the finishing touches of Husqvarna’s 2014 FC 450.
Following are the highlights and the specs for the 2014 Husqvarna FC 450 Cross.
2014 Husqvarna FC 450 Highlights:
- Powerful 449.3cc SOHC four-stroke engine with DLC-coated rocker arms
- Closed-cartridge 48mm WP fork
- CNC-machined triple clamps with four handlebar positions
- Pankl crankshaft and connecting rod
- König forged bridged-box-type piston
- Electric start only
- Keihin EFI, 44mm throttle body
- Five-speed gearbox
- DDS clutch with Brembo hydraulics
- Brembo hydraulics brakes
- Link-mounted rear WP suspension
- Polyamide rear subframe
- Black D.I.D. rims, CNC-machined hubs
2014 Husqvarna FC 450 Cross Specs:
- Engine: Single cylinder, 4-stroke
- Displacement: 449.3ccm
- Bore/Stroke: 95/63.4mm
- Compression Ratio: 12.6:1
- Starter/Battery: Electric starter / 12V 3Ah
- Transmission: 5 gears
- Fuel System: Keihin EFI, throttle body 44mm
- Cooling: Liquid cooling
- Clutch: Wet multi-disc DDS-clutch, Brembo hydraulics
- Ignition: Keihin EMS
- Frame: Central double-cradle-type 25CrMo4 steel
- Subframe: Cross-linked Polyamide
- Handlebar: Renthal, Aluminium Ø 28/22mm
- Front Suspension: WP-USD, Closed Cartridge, Ø 48mm
- Rear Suspension: WP-Monoshock with linkage
- Suspension Travel Front/Rear: 11.8/12.4in. | 300/317mm
- Front/Rear Brake: Disc brake 260/220mm
- Front/Rear Rim: 1,60 x 21“; 2,15 x 19“ DID
- Front/Rear Tire: 80/100-21“; 110/90-19“
- Exhaust: Aluminium
- Steering Head Angle: 63.5°
- Triple Clamp Offset: 22mm
- Wheelbase: 58.9 ± .4in. | 1,495 ± 10mm
- Grond Clearance: 14.6in. | 371mm
- Seat Height: 39in. | 992mm
- Tank Capacity: 2 gallons | 7.5 l
- Weight (Dry): approx. 237.2 lbs. | 107.6 k
* After 25 years apart, Husaberg and Husqvarna have come back together, reconnecting the heritage, classic style and innovative craftsmanship that introduced motocross to America. The first generation of this revitalized brand reflects a time that both Husaberg and Husqvarna can trace their roots back to – a time when blue, yellow and white Swedish-bred bikes ruled the off-road world. Husqvarna is now proud to recapture the spirit of this dominant era with the 2014 line of Austrian-built motorcycles, and return the iconic brand to the highest ranks of off-road competition.