2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS | First Look Review
For 2014, Kawasaki has upgraded its "sport bike for the real world" – the Ninja 1000.
The 2014 Ninja 1000 receives a host of improvements, including a more powerful 1043cc inline four, KTRC Traction Control, two Power Modes, and remote rear spring preload adjuster.
The Ninja 1000 also receives Monobloc radially-mounted front brake calipers, a taller sixth gear, a new analog and digital instrument cluster, and a revised rear subframe, which is compatible with Kawasaki's optional Quick Release (KQR) 29-liter hard saddlebags.
These upgrades enhance an already popular machine that provides comfortable sport riding, and now with the additional bags, comfortable sport touring.
Wanting to further appeal to this transverse motorcyclists, Kawasaki revamped the engine for more low- and mid-range torque. Kawasaki achieved this by revising the intake cams on the DOHC, liquid-cooled 16-valve engine.
Additional airbox vents and new cylinder connecting passageways trengthen mid-to-high RPM performance by improving breathing and reducing the pumping losses associated with displacing air inside the crankcase.
To enhance throttle response, Kawasaki added equal-length velocity stacks that feed the four 38mm Keihin downdraft throttle bodies. The 2014 Ninja 1000 also features Digital Timing Advance, which increases low- and mid-range power, while spark plug-mounted ignition coils help ensure perfect timing for each cylinder.
The increased power, combined with the confidence of a three-mode KTRC traction control system, two power modes, and ABS with the new Monobloc calipers, provides the real-world motorcyclists an even more desirable platform for whatever duty is at hand, from commuting to canyon carving to touring.
And the final word on the 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000? Price. The new Ninja 1000 has an MSRP of $11,999, which in today's motorcycle market is relatively cheap for such a versatile machine.
Following are the features, specs, color options and MSRP of the 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000.
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS Features:
- UPGRADED 1,043cc inline-four with DFI offers even more power and torque for effortless passing and backroads entertainment
- NEW KTRC Traction Control system features three different modes, plus “off” for maximum performance and enhanced rider confidence in varying conditions
- NEW Selectable Power Modes offer a choice between full power and approximately 70 percent power output to help suit changing conditions
- NEW One-piece “monobloc” radial-mount front brake calipers offer superb braking power and control, along with a premium laser-etched Kawasaki logo and black alumite finish
- NEW Taller 6th gear provides a more relaxed ride when covering highway miles
- NEW Analog + Digital instrument cluster includes a large tachometer and a digital display offering a wealth of information on current bike conditions and settings
- NEW Remote rear spring preload adjuster allows quick tuning for passenger and luggage weight
- NEW Subframe with built-in compatibility for Kawasaki’s new accessory saddlebag mounts
- NEW Optional Kawasaki Quick Release (KQR) 29 liter hard saddlebags are cleanly integrated with the new subframe and can be removed in seconds to leave a clean, rack-free tail section
- Relaxed, upright riding position contributes to all-day comfort and impressive maneuverability
- Lightweight aluminum frame is narrow and tuned to transmit optimal feedback to the rider
- Fully adjustable inverted fork has settings designed for sporty performance and ride quality
- Design of horizontal back-link rear suspension contributes to mass centralization
- Sleek styling gives the Ninja® 1000 a distinctive sportbike look
- Large 5-gallon fuel capacity offers substantial range
- Windscreen is adjustable to three positions, allowing for optimum wind and weather protection
DOHC, 16-valve, 1,043cc Engine
- 1,043cc liquid-cooled inline-four offers true open-class power from idle to redline
- NEW Cylinder connecting passageways reduce pumping losses and improve mid-to-high RPM performance
- NEW Intake cams provide improved low-to-midrange torque
- Easily accessible torque offers instant thrust for maximum rider satisfaction
- Bore and stroke dimensions of 77.0 x 56.0mm offer an ideal balance of peak power and low- and mid-range flexibility
- 38mm Keihin throttle bodies cram the air/fuel mixture directly into combustion chambers via downdraft intakes for maximum power
- Oval sub-throttles help keep the engine slim, and a slim midsection allows an ideal bike/rider interface for maximum comfort and control
- Engine’s rev limiter comes into play “softly,” providing usable overrev character because power doesn’t drop off suddenly at high RPM
- The engine’s relatively low crankshaft position allows a moderately long stroke without adding engine height
- A secondary engine balancer, driven off a gear on the sixth web of the crankshaft, eliminates excess vibration and contributes to rider comfort
UPGRADED Cool Air System
- Intake system routes cool air to the airbox via ducts in the fairing, minimizing performance loss due to heated intake air
- UPGRADED Airbox features additional atmospheric intakes to further enhance the engine’s intoxicating intake howl
- NEW Non-woven air filter element provides better flow for enhanced high-RPM performance
- REVISED Velocity stacks are now equal-length and provide improved throttle response and a more exciting engine character
- Intake ducts are positioned close to the rider to allow the intake howl to be heard and enjoyed
NEW Selectable 2-Mode Digital Ignition
- Rider selectable Full & Low maps offer a choice between full power and approximately 70 percent power output to help suit changing conditions
- Digital Timing Advance enhances low- and mid-range power
- Individual spark plug-mounted ignition coils fire each of the four spark plugs independently to achieve the optimum timing for that cylinder
- ECU includes an idle speed control system for easier starting and warm-up
NEW KTRC Traction Control
- KTRC traction-control system features three different modes for varying conditions
- System can also be switched-off by the rider to disable traction control
- Modes are controlled by a handy switch assembly on the left handlebar
- Modes are indicated on the LCD cockpit display
- The exhaust system features a 4-into-2-pre-chamber-into-2 layout to provide ample silencer volume without requiring excess bulk in the rear mufflers
- Main and pre-catalyzers ensure cleaner emissions
- Exhaust system offers excellent mass centralization and contributes to a low center of gravity
Slim-type Fuel Pump
- Slim-type fuel pump features an integral fuel level sensor with enhanced accuracy for 2014
- Fuel tank design and slim-type fuel pump minimizes dead volume inside the tank; fuel capacity is 5.0 gallons
NEW Monobloc ABS Brakes with Petal-type Rotors
- NEW One-piece “monobloc” radial-mount front brake calipers offer superb braking power and control, along with a premium quality look from their laser-etched Kawasaki logo and black alumite finish
- Small and lightweight ABS unit with a high-spec ECU is capable of detailed calculations for ultra-smooth operation
- A low-battery mode helps preserve ABS effectiveness when the battery charge is low. (although riders may notice that ABS operation is less smooth than in normal mode)
- Petal-type 300mm front brake rotors are full-on sportbike hardware
- A radial-pump front brake master cylinder contributes to the superb control and feel offered by these high-end monobloc calipers
- The rear brake is a single-piston, pin-slide caliper gripping a 250mm petal-type disc. The caliper is mounted below the swingarm, and located by a torque rod
- Supersport-style full-fairing bodywork gives the Ninja 1000 a distinctive, head-turning look, and also offers plenty of wind and weather protection for short-tour ability
- The fairing’s slat-style leading edges direct wind around the bike, allowing the fairing to be narrower at the middle
- The fairing flares at the rear, keeping hot engine air off the rider’s legs
- Front turn signals are integrated into the fairing and are attached to the inside of the fairing with rubber mounts that minimize damage if the bike falls over
- Front fender design contributes to excellent aerodynamics and racy looks
- Slim and compact tail cowl moves mass physically and visually toward the front of the bike
- LED taillight features red bulbs and a red transparent lens
- Slim rear fender gives the bike a light-looking rear end
- Windscreen is manually adjustable for optimum wind/weather protection
- Windscreen has three available positions spanning approximately 20 degrees and ranging from sporty to maximum wind protection. Adjustment can be done by hand (no tools required) by depressing the release button below the instrument panel. Windscreen adjustment should always be done with the bike stopped
Aluminum Backbone Frame
- Aluminum backbone frame is similar in concept to the Ninja ZX-10R’s, and helps make the bike narrow and easy to grip with the knees for maximum rider comfort and feedback
- The frame is lightweight and highly rigid, and uses the engine as a stressed member for solid handling and optimum stability
- Frame elements are tuned to transmit optimal engine feedback to the rider
- The frame uses four engine mounts, three of which are rigid, one of which (the upper rear crankcase mount) is rubber
- NEW Subframe features built-in compatibility for Kawasaki’s new accessory saddlebag mounts
- The sub-frame is an example of form and function combined, negating the need for side covers and allowing underseat narrowness for a shorter reach to the ground
UPGRADED Horizontal Back-Link Rear Suspension
- Rear suspension design positions the shock unit and linkage above the swingarm where it’s less exposed to exhaust heat and contributes to mass centralization
- NEW Remote rear spring preload adjuster allows quick tuning for passenger and luggage weight
- Stepless rebound damping adjuster allows damping characteristics to be tuned to suit spring preload and passenger/luggage weights
Fully Adjustable 41mm Fork
- The Ninja 1000’s inverted fork is adjustable for compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload – and is protected from harm by a cool-looking shroud
- Settings are designed for both sporty performance and ride quality
Rider / Passenger Interface
- Separate, raised handlebars contribute to the sporty, comfortable riding position; bar stays are mounted to the fork tube tops, which extend above the top clamp
- A thick urethane seat provides a high level of rider and passenger comfort
- Tapered grips, like those used on supersport models, offer a more direct feel than traditional designs
- Ninja supersport footpegs with knurled surfaces offer secure grip, direct feel and control, and no-nonsense looks
- NEW Grab-bars are redesigned to provide a more comfortable hand-hold for the passenger
- The passenger footpeg brackets incorporate convenient luggage hooks
- Left handlebar features switches for KTRC Traction Control, Power Mode Selector, High/Low Beam and headlight flasher
- NEW LCD functions include KTRC, Power Mode, ABS and Economical Riding (ECO) indicators
- Additional LCD functions include a digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meter, clock, instant and average fuel consumption, coolant temperature, and low-fuel warning lamps
Large-volume Fuel Tank
- Five-gallon (19L) fuel tank offers substantial range
- Steel construction facilitates use of magnetic tank bag
- Tank shape (flared edges and a trim shape at the back) allows riders to easily grip tank with their knees
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS Specs
- Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four
- Displacement: 1,043cc
- Bore x stroke: 77.0 x 56.0mm
- Compression ratio: 11.8:1
- Fuel injection: DFI® with four 38mm Keihin throttle bodies, oval sub-throttles
- Ignition: TCBI with digital advance
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final drive: X-ring chain
- Rake / trail: 24.5 degrees / 4.0 in.
- Frame type: Aluminum Backbone
- Front tire: 120/70 ZR17
- Rear tire: 190/50 ZR17
- Wheelbase: 56.9 in.
- Front suspension / wheel travel: 41 mm inverted cartridge fork with stepless compression and rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 4.7 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: Horizontal monoshock with stepless rebound damping, remotely adjustable spring preload / 5.4 in.
- Front brakes: Dual 300mm petal-type rotors with radial-mount four-piston monobloc calipers and ABS
- Rear brake: Single 250mm petal-type rotor with single-piston caliper, with ABS
- Overall length: 82.9 in.
- Overall width: 31.1 in.
- Overall height: (Windscreen DN/UP) 46.1 / 48.4 in.
- Seat height: 32.3 in.
- Curb weight: 509.4 lbs.
- Fuel capacity: 5.0 gal.
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Colors/MSRP:
- Candy Lime Green / $11,999
- Candy Cascade Blue /$11,999
- 12 Months
Kawasaki Protection Plus:
- 12, 24, 36, and 48 month plans are available