2nd Grader Morales Earns History with MX & BMX Titles
Dane Morales News
Dane Morales, a seven-year-old boy from Aliso Viejo, Calif., is the only racer of any age to currently hold national championships with the premier U.S. sanctioning bodies in BMX and motocross. He’s also a 2012 International Cycling Union (UCI) World BMX Champion and holds 13 national BMX titles.
Morales, a second-grader became the USA-BMX National Age Group (N.A.G.) Champion in November, 2012. Earlier this month, he took the first step to accomplishing his dual-sport championship goal by winning the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) age 4-6 50cc Arenacross title at the Amsoil Amateur Arenacross Finals in Las Vegas, Nevada on a Cobra minicycle.
“I want to be the first kid to get national BMX, motocross and Supercross championships. Oh yeah, and also the first BMX Olympic Gold Medalist,” said the lifelong athlete, who started swimming and gymnastics lesson at 10 months old, began riding bicycles at two-and-a-half and minibikes at age three.
This would model the career arc of Jeremy McGrath, the king of Supercross, who scored a record 72 stadium wins in the premier class. McGrath was also a BMX racer before moving up to motorized two-wheelers.
“I don’t really know much about Jeremy,” said the long-haired, 4’2″ racer with more than 20,000 “likes” on his Facebook page, “but he’s cool. I know that Christian Craig was also a BMX champion and is now a motocross pro. That’s really cool.”
Morales will begin campaigning to defend his USA-BMX national title on May 31 at the Music City Nationals in Nashville, Tennessee, look to win another UCI world championship and continue racing minibikes.
Dane Morales’ Racing Accomplishments (2011 to May, 2013):
- 2013 California State Qualifier, Lucerne Valley: 1st 7X & 7 Cruiser
- 2013 California State Qualifier, Bakersfield: 1st 7 Cruiser
- 2013 California State Qualifier, Palm Springs: 1st 7X & 7 Cruiser
- 2012 UCI World BMX Champion: 6 Class
- 2012 USA-BMX National Age Group (NAG): #1, 6X
- 2012 USA Cycling USA BMX Champion: 6 Class
- 2012 USA-BMX Race of Champions (ROC): #1 6X
- 2012 USA-BMX Redline Cup BMX Champion: 6X
- 2012 USA-BMX Redline Cup BMX Champion: 6 Open
- 2012 USA-BMX Western Divisional BMX Champion: 6X
- 2011 ABA Grand National BMX Champion: 5I
- 2011 Redline Cup BMX Champion: 5I
- 2011 California State Finals Winner: 5I
Dane Morales’ Motocross Sponsors
Cobra Motorcycles, ASV Inventions, Universal Engineering, Oakley, SDG Seats, FOX, Troy Lee Designs, Spider Grips, K&N Air Filters EVS Protection, Garage Graphics, OGIO and Tokyo Mods
Dane Morales’ BMX Sponsors
Box Components, Shimano, Auburn Cycles, Oakley, ProMax, Troy Lee Designs, ASV Inventions, ODI Grips, Maxxis Tires, Profile Hubs, Speedline Cranks, K&N Air Filters, EVS Protection, OGIO, Tangent Sprockets, Bike Alley and Garage Graphics