Kawasaki’s Foret Wins Aragon World Supersport
2013 Motorland Aragon World Supersport Results
The Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja once again showed its strength Sunday during round 2 of the 2013 World Supersport Championship at Motorland Aragon in Spain.
This race went to Mahi Racing Team India’s Fabien Foret, who was one of four Kawasaki ZX-6Rs in the top five. Joining Foret on the Aragon podium was Pata Honda World Supersport’s Michael van der Mark and Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres’ Luca Scassa.
The Aragon World SS race was loaded with crashes and technical problems. The issues began with braking problems for the reigning Supersport champion and round one (Phillip Island) winner Kenan Sofuoglu. The teammate of Foret was forced to retire early.
DMC Lorenzini Racing Team Kawasaki’s Scot Kev Coghlan was battling for the lead on lap seven of 18, but he suffered a crash at turn 7. The other big problem came from Yakhnich Motorsport Yamaha’s Sam Lowes. He was battling with Foret on the last lap, but his YZF-R6 had issues with its transmission, forcing a DNF.
Foret and his team made some improvements on the ZX-6R Ninja ahead of Motorland Aragon World Supersport, but he was only in 11th by the end of the first lap. Foret battled his way to the lead by lap eight, and led a total of six laps. Lowes then had the lead, but due to his bike issues, he was forced to retire, allowing Fabien to finish in first.
This was the 2002 World Supersport Champion’s 16th win of his career, and gives him the lead in the 2013 World Supersport Championship.
Fabien Foret (Mahi Racing Team Indian Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja) says: “I had a plan for the last lap and let Sam Lowes do the work, and was going to try to get back to him. You never know how these things will go but I was ready anyway.
“We started the weekend with a set-up that was not perfect but my crew chief and my team did a lot of work to give me a good set-up and give me confidence for the race, so compliments to them. We got onto the podium, in first position, so we have to be pretty happy about that. Consistency in this championship is the key but you have to win when you can because full points are important too. It is a long season and this on should be exciting but I will try my best as I always do.”
2013 Motorland Aragon World Supersport Race Results:
1. Fabien Foret (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 37’10.286
2. Michael Vd Mark (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR 37’16.881
3. Luca Scassa (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 37’20.195
4. Andrea Antonelli (Team Goeleven) Kawasaki ZX-6R 37’20.396
5. Riccardo Russo (Puccetti Racing Kawasaki) Kawasaki ZX-6R 37’22.236
6. Lorenzo Zanetti (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR 37’22.944
7. Jack Kennedy (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR 37’26.391
8. Vladimir Leonov (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 37’27.086
9. Roberto Rolfo (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 37’36.320
10. Luca Marconi (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 37’39.392
11. Alex Baldolini (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 37’39.582
12. Massimo Roccoli (Team Pata by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 37’39.622
13. Kev Coghlan (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R 37’55.843
14. Fabio Menghi (VFT Racing) Yamaha YZF R6 37’57.938
15. Roberto Tamburini (Suriano Racing Team) Suzuki GSX-R600 38’06.234
16. Balazs Nemeth (Complus SMS Racing) Honda CBR600RR 38’06.589
17. Alex Schacht (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 38’07.031
18. Matt Davies (Team Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 38’07.522
19. Yves Polzer (Team MRC Austria) Honda CBR600RR 38’50.405
20. Eduard Blokhin (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR 38’23.137
21. Mathew Scholtz (Suriano Racing Team) Suzuki GSX-R600 38’34.084
RT. Sam Lowes (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 35’04.155
RT. Nacho Calero Perez (Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 36’02.165
RT. Florian Marino (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 33’16.193
RT. Raffaele De Rosa (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 33’16.595
RT. Vladimir Ivanov (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R 28’47.879
RT. David Linortner (Team Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 25’09.835
RT. Mitchell Carr (AARK Racing) Triumph 675 R 23’22.921
RT. Luca Salvadori (Team Pata by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 11’01.858
RT. Christian Iddon (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 11’44.904
RT. Kenan Sofuoglu (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 5’00.143
RT. Gabor Talmacsi (Prorace) Honda CBR600RR
RT. Sheridan Morais (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR
2013 World Supersport Championship Point Standings:
1. Fabien Foret, Kawasaki: 38
2. Michael Vd Mark, Honda: 36
3. Luca Scassa, Kawasaki: 26
4. Kenan Sofuoglu, Kawasaki: 25
5. Andrea Antonelli, Kawasaki: 22
6. Sam Lowes, Yamaha: 20
7. Lorenzo Zanetti, Honda: 18
8. Jack Kennedy, Honda: 15
9. Riccardo Russo, Kawasaki: 11
10. David Salom, Kawasaki: 11