2013 FIM Freestyle MX World Championship NIGHT of the JUMPS Results
The FIM Freestyle MX World Championship launched into a new season on Saturday in the context of NIGHT of the JUMPS in Lithuania. Eleven of the world’s top freestyle motocross riders gathered in the Zalgirio Arena in Lithuania for the first Grand Prix event of the year.
The southernmost of the three Baltic States was making its debut entry in the freestyle motocross world atlas. Spanish FMX torero Dany Torres was also celebrating a NIGHT of the JUMPS premiere, contesting the world championship for the first time.
Torres made an immediate impression, dominating qualification along with Remi Bizouard and David Rinaldo. With Torres’ signature 1-Hand Seatgrab Indy Backflip and his Paris Hilton flip, the fans were treated to not one but two new NIGHT of the JUMPS tricks. Undismayed, reigning champion Bizouard still qualified ahead of the field with his usual box of tricks. David Rinaldo’s repertoire was also impressive, taking him through in third place.
Joining the lead trio in the finals were 2012 world championship runner-up Libor Podmol, Petr Pilat and Maikel Melero. Relegated to the role of spectators this time were Brice Izzo (FRA), Jose Miralles (ESP), Matin Koren (CZE) and the German FMX contingent of Kai Haase and Hannes Ackermann.
The absence of reigning Maxxis Highest Air champion Massimo Bianconcini left the field free for Kai Haase and the Spanish duo of Jose Miralles and Maikel Melero. The German rider cleared the bar at 8.5 metres to take the trophy on the night for the first time in his career. Haase also made it through to the final of the ROCKWELL Time Whip Contest where he found himself up against Remi Bizouard and Jose Miralles. Here too, the German took the honours, thrilling the crowd with some really extreme whips.
The final then turned into the ultimate showdown between Dany Torres and Remi Bizouard, with all the other riders virtually reduced to the role of bit players. Maikel Melero and David Rinaldo were perhaps trying too hard not to be overshadowed by their more illustrious compatriots, which may explain the dead sailors for both riders on their final runs. Petr Pilat moved up to fourth place after putting together an improved run.
Podmol’s underflip combinations were good enough to secure him the remaining podium spot. But even so, his performance was little more than an appetiser for the duel between Dany and Remi. The Spaniard delved deeper in the final, pulling out Lazyboy Flip, Cliffhanger Flip and 360. Bizouard then countered with a 360 and a perfect Cliffhanger Flip. The reigning world champion then wrapped up victory with his Rulerflip.
With this triumph in the first ever freestyle motocross Grand Prix to be held in Lithuania, World Champion Bizouard has got his title defence off to a great start, taking an immediate lead in the FIM Freestyle MX World Championship. His latest challenger, second-placed Dany Torres, is on 18 points followed by Libor Podmol on 16. It’s still early days, though, and the standings could be completely reshuffled next weekend when the FMX stars contest rounds 2 and 3 of the World Championship at the o2 World arena in Berlin (March 8/9).
Lithuania NIGHT of the JUMPs/FIM Freestyle MX World Championships Results:
Results NIGHT of the JUMPs – Final
1. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Kawasaki 391 Points
2. Dany Torres ESP RFME KTM 383 Points
3. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Yamaha 370 Points
4. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 333 Points
5. Maikel Melero ESP RFME KTM 297 Points
6. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 289 Points
1. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Kawasaki 342 Points
2. Dany Torres ESP RFME KTM 339 Points
3. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 336 Points
4. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Yamaha 328 Points
5. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 306 Points
6. Maikel Melero ESP RFME KTM 305 Points
7. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 303 Points
8. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 299 Points
9. Martin Koren CZE ACCR KTM 270 Points
10. Kai Haase GER DMSB Suzuki 220 Points
11. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 198 Points
Results ROCKWELL Time Whip Contest
1. Kai Haase GER DMSB Suzuki
2. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Kawasaki
3. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM
Results MAXXIS Highest-Air
1. Kai Haase GER DMSB Suzuki 8,50 Meters
2. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 8,00 Meters
Maikel Melero ESP RFME KTM 8,00 Meters
FIM Freestyle MX World Championships Ranking (after 1st contest)
1. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Kawasaki 20 Points
2. Dany Torres ESP RFME KTM 18 Points
3. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Yamaha 16 Points
4. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 14 Points
5. Maikel Melero ESP RFME KTM 12 Points
6. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 10 Points
7. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 9 Points
8. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 8 Points
9. Martin Koren CZE ACCR KTM 7 Points
10. Kai Haase GER DMSB Suzuki 6 Points
11. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 5 Points