2013 San Diego AMA Supercross | Results
2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross
Spoiler Alert: 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross results from Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, listed below
The 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross series completed its final stop in California Saturday evening, the action occurring at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego.
And for the second time this season, Rockstar Energy Suzuki’s Davi Millsaps was victorious. The RM-Z450 rider, who has led the AMA SX points race since his win at the opening round in Anaheim I, was joined on the podium by Muscle Milk Honda’s Justin Barcia and Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey.
Before over 55,000 spectators, Dodge/Sycuan Casino/RCH Racing Suzuki’s Broc Tickle too the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot, followed by TwoTwo Motorsports Honda’s Chad Reed.
As for Dungey, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto and Muscle Milk Honda’s Trey Canard, all riders started outside the top five. Millsaps quickly got into the lead, followed by Reed and Barcia.
As Millsaps opened a gap, Reed lost traction on his CR-F450R, dropping back to seventh. Barcia attempted to challenge Millsaps, but was unsuccessful. Barcia would finish second, followed by the man who won last week’s Anaheim III event, Dungey. Yoshimura Suzuki’s James Stewart finished fourth, followed by Reed.
With his win, Millsaps, who finished on the podium in four out of five races, now holds a 19 point lead over Dungey.
Davi Millsaps (Rockstar Energy Suzuki RM-Z 450 Supercross) says: “What can I say, when you’re able to pull the holeshot and ride 20 clean laps you make life a lot easier on yourself.
“It’s been a great start to the season and everyone is working hard to make this happen. You have to be there every week in order to have a chance to win this thing (the championship), and we’re doing our best to keep it out front.”
In the fourth Western Regional 250SX Class race of the season, GEICO Honda’s Eli Tomac took the win.
Rockstar Energy Racing’s Jason Anderson emerged with the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award to start the Western Regional 250SX Class Main Event, with Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Martin Davalos and JDR/J-Star KTM’s Malcolm Stewart closely behind. As he made a push for the lead on the opening lap, Davalos lost control of his bike and crashed, falling to the tail end of the field, Feld Motor Sports says.
Davalos’ misfortune allowed Tomac to move into second position and set his sights on Anderson in the lead. On Lap 4, Tomac made an inside move on Anderson just before the finish and from there opened a comfortable lead. Behind this battle, Red Bull KTM’s Ken Roczen moved himself into podium position and it wasn’t long before he was on Anderson’s rear fender for second, Feld Motor Sports says.
Roczen took over the position from Anderson on Lap 7 and set a pace that helped him close the gap on Tomac’s lead. As the laps wound down, Roczen closed in on Tomac and had a chance to steal the win on the final lap. A final desperation move in the final turn put Roczen alongside Tomac heading to the finish, but he missed out on a third straight victory by mere bike lengths, Feld Motor Sports says.
Roczen holds a 17-point lead over Tomac with three races remaining in the championship.
Eli Tomac (GEICO Honda CR-F250R Supercross) says: “This was the best way to go into the break. It was an awesome race out there and a good track. It was a little close in the end, but it was a fun race. This place (Qualcomm Stadium) has been hot and cold for me. I won here in 2011, got a DNF last year, and now won here again. We’ll go into the break with some confidence.”
The Western Regional 250SX Class Championship will now take a break from competition until April 20 in Seattle.
The 2013 AMA Supercross series heads to Arlington, Texas, Saturday, February 16.
2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross 450 Class Results:
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki
- Chad Reed, Australia, Honda
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
- Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha
- Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
- Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki
2013 AMA Supercross 450 Class Points (after five of 17 rounds):
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 132
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 113
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 105
- Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 105
- Chad Reed, Australia, Honda, 97
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 83
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 83
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki, 74
- Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha, 67
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki, 57
2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Western Regional 250 Class Results:
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda
- Ken Roczen, Germany, KTM
- Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki
- Austin Politelli, Riverside, Calif., Honda
- Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha
- Travis Baker, Romoland, Calif., Yamaha
- Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda
- Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki
- Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Kawasaki
- Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., Honda
2013 AMA Supercross Western Regional 250 Class Points:
- Ken Roczen, Germany, KTM, 138
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda, 121
- Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda, 95
- Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki, 88
- Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha, 83
- Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Kawasaki, 82
- Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda, 82
- Joey Savatgy, Thomasville, Ga., KTM, 62
- Christian Craig, Wildomar, Calif., Honda, 62
- Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., Honda, 60