Stars shine in St. LouisEarly morning mist gave way to sunshine as motorcyclists gathered at St. Charles Community College in Cottleville for the 11th St. Louis Ride for Kids, which raised $60,127 for the PBTF.The 350 participants included Izzy, Brian, Joshua, Daniel, James, Josh, Zach, Ashleigh, and Courtney. These young people were the stars of the event, and many of them led the ride through the countryside, with rolling hills and views of the Missouri River.The brain tumor survivors also inspired the crowd with their stories of hope. “Originally, 40 percent of my tumor was removed and I was given 18 months to live,” said Courtney, 21. “Here I am five years cancer free.”Added Dr. Joshua Rubin of St. Louis Children’s Hospital and Siteman Cancer Center, “It was [Mike and Dianne] Traynor’s vision that got us doing things differently, and different is what is making survival possible for our patients.”The leading fundraisers were:
- Individuals: Andy Baum and the Mungenast Family, each $5,000
- Motorcycle club/chapter: GWRRA MO-Z, $10,546
- Motorcycle business: Niehaus Cycles, $25,926
- Special organizaton: Brian Ott’s Bikers, $5,450
- David Piel won a new Honda motorcycle. Other drawing prizes went to Anthony Stratman (AGV helmet); Marty Hall (Dunlop tire); Glen Bates (Tourmaster luggage); and John Voss (Cardo Scala Rider).
- Individual: David Odess, $18,445
- Motorcycle club/chapter: GWRRA MA-F, $21,130
- Motorcycle business: Venco Wings, $25,457
- Special organization: New Salem General Store, $3,148
- David Odess won the drawing for a Honda motorcycle. Other prize winners were Fredda Cole (AGV helmet); Vladimir Giterman (Dunlop tire); Michael Bartnowski (Tourmaster luggage); and Russell Emerson (Cardo Scala Rider).
Ride for Kids supports the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation (PBTF), the world’s largest non-governmental source of funding for childhood brain tumor research. It also provides family support programs. We thank our presenting sponsor, Honda Riders Club of America, and our national insurance sponsor, GEICO. The next Ride for Kids events are on Sunday, Aug. 26 in Asheville, N.C., and Ann Arbor, Mich. Learn more at rideforkids.org or call 800-253-6530.